• Register Today It's free!

Sold our 15" Limited

edino

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Lexus RX350
I sold my wife's “15 Limited last week after 20 months of ownership and 9000miles. I thought it would be good to recap our experiences and overall impression that we had with this car.

The good:
  • Active Safety: Our Ex was full option, with all possible safety features, and active parking assist. All of the active safety features like BLIS, Collision warnings etc worked like a charm. The one thing about driving the Ex is that we felt very very safe.
  • Very good road holding, ride and noise levels on smooth roads
  • Excellent brakes
  • Very good looking interior and exterior
  • Comfortable seats, and overall cabin (although it could have been even better if the seats where positioned closer to the doors)
  • Very good engine and transmission
  • 20" Hankook Tires (YES, I wanted to mention this because in a dry and hot climate they are excellent!)

The less good:
  • Fit and finish. We had during the first year had a door panel reseated, lost an A-pillar cover while driving, had the other A-pillar cover changed due to a crack, had a door molding changed as it was curling at an corner, window rubber changed due to bad installation.
  • Rattles: The driver door lock needs lubricant every month otherwise it would make creaking noises from the lock area when driving on uneven roads. Rattle developed (and was fixed) in the luggage compartment, near the rear AC area. Rattle developed (and was fixed) in the moon roof. Dashboard compartment door squeaks when the cabin is hot.
  • Electronics: Car failed to recognize the key fob 2 times; even when the key was put in the holder in the compartment between the seat. After like 10-15 minutes it would suddenly work again after which the car could be started. Both events happened at 120F; not the best timing to struggle with electronics. Dealership could never simulate or find the problem. They changed the car battery proactively as a test showed a marginal pass (a bad battery could cause all sort of strange problems with electronics)
  • AC struggles to cool down the cabin when above 120F. In traffic jams, at very slow speeds it starts blowing hot air. The dealer found no problem with gas charge, but resettled the AC control. We have not been able to confirm if this has fixed the problem.
  • Power Windows: Both the driver and passenger front window “bounce” initially when bringing them down. Dealer claims its normal.
  • There are LED lights for mood lighting in the doors, and floor space in front, but not for the rear passengers. I never understood why; it really feels like bean counting. (In fairness to Ford, it could also be that the dealer ordered them without; I did not check)
  • The cargo floor (in fact the back panel of the 3rd row seats) is not strong (it feels flimsy, easily bends and possibly breaks)
Overall we had a mixed impression of this Ford; it looks by far the best of all SUV’s, its feels very safe, rides OK, but is really let down in quality and quality feel. I have been driving nearly 30 years Ford cars, but less good experiences with our past 3 Fords have let us look at other brands. I still find it painful/shamefull to say, but I made the step to Toyota (I bought a new reasonably equipped 15” 5.7 Land Cruiser EXR last year) for the same price as a full option Explorer, and basically got delivered a “perfect” build and driving SUV with an excellent quality feel. We now bought also an “17 4.0 Toyota Fortuner as replacement for the explorer, and again initial quality and quality feel is excellent.

I think this forum here is the best; I have enjoyed reading all posts and even though I do not have an Explorer anymore, I will keep on returning, and hopefully contribute. Thanks all!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

• There are LED lights for mood lighting in the doors, and floor space in front, but not for the rear passengers. I never understood why; it really feels like bean counting. (In fairness to Ford, it could also be that the dealer ordered them without; I did not check)

Interesting. I have a 15 Limited and mine does have the mood lighting that shines into the rear floorboard. Seems weird that there would be an 'option' not to have it in certain locations.

Interesting. I have a 15 Limited and mine does have the mood lighting that shines into the rear floorboard. Seems weird that there would be an 'option' not to have it in certain locations.
There is no option. The factory installed Ambient Lighting does light the 2nd row and also the 2nd row door handles I think. Perhaps what the OP had was aftermarket ambient lighting which does not have all the lighting features that the OEM has.

Peter

The factory installed Ambient Lighting does light the 2nd row and also the 2nd row door handles.

This is interesting. We have the 2nd row ambient lighting in ours. If I recall the light itself is tucked somewhere up under the rear of the center console armrest. However we do not have ambient lighting for the 2nd row door handles. I thought that was odd when we first got the car and thought it might be a fuse or light issue but when I looked up inside the door handles I didn't see the lens (for lack of a better term) I see inside the 1st row door handles. Just looked like a black plug/insert on the 2nd row handles.

This is interesting. We have the 2nd row ambient lighting in ours. If I recall the light itself is tucked somewhere up under the rear of the center console armrest. However we do not have ambient lighting for the 2nd row door handles. I thought that was odd when we first got the car and thought it might be a fuse or light issue but when I looked up inside the door handles I didn't see the lens (for lack of a better term) I see inside the 1st row door handles. Just looked like a black plug/insert on the 2nd row handles.
Sorry that I may have created some confusion about the 2nd row door handles. I edited my post by adding "I think." As the only driver of my vehicles I haven't sat in the second row so I was sort of going by memory which at my advanced age isn't always the best thing to do. I just went and checked them on my Platinum and they DO NOT light up. My bad.:(

Peter

No problem. Thanks for the clarification Peter.

I sold my wife's “15 Limited last week after 20 months of ownership and 9000miles.

Overall we had a mixed impression of this Ford; it looks by far the best of all SUV’s, its feels very safe, rides OK, but is really let down in quality and quality feel. I have been driving nearly 30 years Ford cars, but less good experiences with our past 3 Fords have let us look at other brands. I still find it painful/shamefull to say, but I made the step to Toyota (I bought a new reasonably equipped 15” 5.7 Land Cruiser EXR last year) for the same price as a full option Explorer, and basically got delivered a “perfect” build and driving SUV with an excellent quality feel. We now bought also an “17 4.0 Toyota Fortuner as replacement for the explorer, and again initial quality and quality feel is excellent.

Please provide us an update after 20 months of ownership or after 9,000 miles of driving your Land Cruiser and Fortuner. Because I own a Ford and a Lexus, I'm willing to bet that the initial excellent quality and feel will remain the same or constant for both of these vehicles, plus I don't doubt they will both be virtually trouble free within this time period and well beyond. Best of luck.

After months of driving my 2015 200 Land cruiser, I and my wife (adding a 2017 Rav 4 in Dubai in the last year) can give you all the message that we do not regret the move to Toyota for one second! The Fortuner in Manila is also driving like new on bad roads! Ford produces nice looking cars, but it does not design them durable or built them very well! Coming from a former loyal Ford guy for 30 years; Ford pissed me of over a period of the last 5 years; I do not look back any more... respect to you all!

Please provide us an update after 20 months of ownership or after 9,000 miles of driving your Land Cruiser and Fortuner. Because I own a Ford and a Lexus, I'm willing to bet that the initial excellent quality and feel will remain the same or constant for both of these vehicles, plus I don't doubt they will both be virtually trouble free within this time period and well beyond. Best of luck.
Completely agree, so far our experience has been excellent !

You should update your profile. It still shows you have a 2015 Explorer.
My experiences with both Toyota and Ford have also been excellent.

Peter

After months of driving my 2015 200 Land cruiser, I and my wife (adding a 2017 Rav 4 in Dubai in the last year) can give you all the message that we do not regret the move to Toyota for one second! The Fortuner in Manila is also driving like new on bad roads! Ford produces nice looking cars, but it does not design them durable or built them very well! Coming from a former loyal Ford guy for 30 years; Ford pissed me of over a period of the last 5 years; I do not look back any more... respect to you all!

Unfortunately, this is the exact assessment I was expecting since I own both a Lexus/Toyota and an Explorer. I have also owned a first and third generation Explorer that were both driven into high mileage. Your spot on that "Ford produces nice looking cars, but is does not design them durable or build them well". Simply put you will not see many fifth generation Explorers going into higher mileage without significant maintenance costs and/or having their engines replaced IMO. The most unfortunate owners will be the ones who buy this generation of Explorer used with 50,000 plus miles on them with the expectation it will last or be driven into high miles like the generations of Explorers before it.

I also traded away my 2013 after only 4 months of ownership. See my post about AC not blowing cold. The treatment from 2 Ford dealers has been absolutely awful even though I purchased ESP. If you're at all interested I got a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport model, with more features than the Explorer. I took a small financial hit to be rid of Ford.
Take care all.

I also traded away my 2013 after only 4 months of ownership. See my post about AC not blowing cold. The treatment from 2 Ford dealers has been absolutely awful even though I purchased ESP. If you're at all interested I got a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport model, with more features than the Explorer. I took a small financial hit to be rid of Ford.
Take care all.
Time to update profile if you no longer have what's shown in the margin.:)

My experiences with both Toyota and Ford have also been excellent.

Peter

Peter, With all due respect you should update your profile stating something to the effect that "I lease my vehicles and drive them about 5,000 miles a year for 3-4 years". I bring this up because every time you make a comment that is even slightly associated with reliability it's semi, if not completely meaningless. All cars purchased on the globe should be able to be driven without any issues and only general maintenance up to 50,000, if not 100,000 miles.

Peter, With all due respect you should update your profile stating something to the effect that "I lease my vehicles and drive them about 5,000 miles a year for 3-4 years". I bring this up because every time you make a comment that is even slightly associated with reliability it's semi, if not completely meaningless. All cars purchased on the globe should be able to be driven without any issues and only general maintenance up to 50,000, if not 100,000 miles.
This was a comment about experiences and experience can be based on both short and long term ownership. My experience was based on having 3 Toyotas (10 years) and 3 Ford products (9 years) not counting my current one. The forum has many posts about bad experiences with dealers that were encountered in the first few months of ownership.

Peter

This was a comment about experiences and experience can be based on both short and long term ownership. My experience was based on having 3 Toyotas (10 years) and 3 Ford products (9 years) not counting my current one. The forum has many posts about bad experiences with dealers that were encountered in the first few months of ownership.

Peter

Not so sure I agree, but that's okay. Edino was responding to my post below:

My post:

Edino's response:

Edino

Back