Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

solution to problem with aftermarket HU

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by savedsol, September 30, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. savedsol

savedsol New Member

City, State:
      Willard, Ohio
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      Ford Explorer 1994
      hey i might know why a majority of people have all kinds of problem with their speakers and sounds etc.. after installing aftermarket HU on explorer premium sounds.
      the problem i found was with the male adapter plug that u connect to the speaker female plug; they do not completely connect with each other! i notice it would connect only maybe 1/3 of way and gets block because of the way the pins are aligned on the male plug...
      what i did was clip off the side walls of the male plug to correctly fit them both together by making room to "wiggle" them both to connect. hopes this helps others with problems with aftermarket HU.
      the harness i used was METRA by they way.

my mom's explorer '94 with premium sound now plays flawlessly even with the amp still hook up to the system!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. B94Sport

B94Sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Geneva, IL
      05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
      Yeah I never understood why people swore up and down that you needed to remove the factory amp to get sound with an aftermarket HU... I installed mine with a harness for all stock plugs (2, right?) and it worked fine... The signal just got amped by the HU and then again by the stock amp. Hmmm... I still eventually took that amp out though.

4. Pimpin Yoda

Pimpin Yoda Member

City, State:
      Oklahoma City, Ok
      Explorer '96 XLT 4x4
      The reason some peolpe have problems with after market HU in there factroy amp is because some HU's send to much power to the amp and blow it. This happened to mine and i had to rewire it all. So my advice is to take out the factory amp. But its all a matter of opinion. If your HU isnt pushing much power then you dont have much to worry about.

5. B94Sport

City, State:
      Geneva, IL
      What kind of HU is that? Mine is rated at 40 watts/channel and putting out 19.

6. savedsol

savedsol New Member

City, State:
      Willard, Ohio
      Ford Explorer 1994
      same as mine Alphine 40wx4

7. rydinhigh

rydinhigh Guest

very very true. I know first hand.

8. Pimpin Yoda

Pimpin Yoda Member

City, State:
      Oklahoma City, Ok
      Explorer '96 XLT 4x4
      I have a Sony Xplod CDX-M730 that is labeled at 52WX4. Just take the blasted thing out if you are doing it for the first time so if you ever sell it you still got that factory amp to plug in. Who knows what im going to do if i sell this someday.

9. B94Sport

City, State:
      Geneva, IL
      That produces 23 watts RMS... 4 more watts will blow the amp? I'll take your word for it, but I wouldn't doubt it, given the quality of that amp :)

10. Pimpin Yoda

Pimpin Yoda Member

City, State:
      Oklahoma City, Ok
      Explorer '96 XLT 4x4
      Yeah its kinda crazy but...it blew. I have Ultimate Electronics install it for me...im never going back there! They blow my factory amp b/c they were too lazy to tell me i needed to bypass it...then they tried to get me to pay like 50 ucks for them to fix it. HA!