How to: - Solve ABS problems on a 1995 Aerostar. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Solve ABS problems on a 1995 Aerostar.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Thanks,but it ain't broke enough to fix it Aaron...……...LOL! don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the RABS system failed on my van I lost all braking ability.

The system should function as a plain braking system without ABS if it's disabled. Which part failed (the master cylinder, proportioning valve, power brake booster or another component)?
Kelsey-Hayes RWAL Antilock Brakes
Everything in the brake system appeared to normal, fluid level was good, vacuum booster worked, etc. The brake pedal dropped to the floor without slowing the car down, I lost all braking which looks like a very common problem. This is the reason I swapped in the wilwood master cylinder, deleted the rabs and used a different proportioning valve.

Kelsey-Hayes RWAL Antilock Brakes
Everything in the brake system appeared to normal, fluid level was good, vacuum booster worked, etc. The brake pedal dropped to the floor without slowing the car down, I lost all braking which looks like a very common problem. This is the reason I swapped in the wilwood master cylinder, deleted the rabs and used a different proportioning valve.
Hi to all,
I am suffering similar problems over in the UK. I mostly import from Rock Auto but the combination/ proportioning valve has not been available for many months.
With this in mind I have a few questions.
Why the Wilwood master cylinder? Which proportioning valve ? And when you say about deleting the rabs - what does this entail. ?

Hi to all,
I am suffering similar problems over in the UK. I mostly import from Rock Auto but the combination/ proportioning valve has not been available for many months.
With this in mind I have a few questions.
Why the Wilwood master cylinder? Which proportioning valve ? And when you say about deleting the rabs - what does this entail. ?
I converted the rear to disc brakes. The dual diaphragm vacuum booster I used requires a non factory style master cylinder, like the Wilwood. Wilwood sold me the proportioning valve with the master cylinder. The parts I used are cheaper than rebuilt factory parts, if you can find them and readily available.

I converted the rear to disc brakes. The dual diaphragm vacuum booster I used requires a non factory style master cylinder, like the Wilwood. Wilwood sold me the proportioning valve with the master cylinder. The parts I used are cheaper than rebuilt factory parts, if you can find them and readily available.
Hi mate. All braking system works fine. Just the two lights illuminated all the time. I’ve got no problems with the drum brakes but would like to replace the proportioning valve with a new one. What I don’t know is, are they quite generic? And if so - will the ecu communicate with this new kit?

Hi mate. All braking system works fine. Just the two lights illuminated all the time. I’ve got no problems with the drum brakes but would like to replace the proportioning valve with a new one. What I don’t know is, are they quite generic? And if so - will the ecu communicate with this new kit?
Your brakes work perfectly fine, but the abs light is on all the time?

Your brakes work perfectly fine, but the abs light is on all the time?
Haven’t felt the ABS kicking in for a long time but I’d rather have a basic braking system that works.

You can remove the rabs module and get a proportioning valve for the rear brakes. You have to turn the pressure down for the rear or they lockup really easily. Nothing else has to be changed. I swapped the other parts cause the vacuum booster went out, then I lost the master cylinder. It was easier for me to buy off the shelf parts.

You can remove the rabs module and get a proportioning valve for the rear brakes. You have to turn the pressure down for the rear or they lockup really easily. Nothing else has to be changed. I swapped the other parts cause the vacuum booster went out, then I lost the master cylinder. It was easier for me to buy off the shelf parts.

Did the removal of the abs module get rid of the dash lights?

Back