Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Some basics to choosing the right audio system

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by jchamzc, April 13, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. jchamzc

jchamzc New Member

City, State:
    Summerville, SC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Explorer sport 4x4
    After reading a few post, it became obvious to me that I don't know jack about audio. So, with the hopes that you are willing to educate me on the basics, I look to all of you for help.

What do I need to know to properly choose a simple, yet quality sounding stereo system? Quality over quanitity if you know what I mean.

:salute:One senerio could be that I don't want to buy an amp and sub, the other is that I want to buy an amp but not a sub and then the last would be if I want to buy and amp and sub, etc.

Is there a check list that a newbe could use to make sure he buys compentents that will truly compliment each other in sound and cost?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. badboyzkustumz

badboyzkustumz New Member

City, State:
    hollywood CA
    96 Exp,EB edition,5.0 V8
    www.the12volt.com reading is first. understand the reason sound is louder or clearer before you look into buying anything. go thru the wiring how to's and product reviews as well. and ASK QUESTIONS if you arent sure.

4. PandorasCustoms

PandorasCustoms Active Member

City, State:
    Kissimmee, Fl
    '94 Sport
    Basically, it all depends on what you are looking for. If you just want some good crusing sounds, then you can stay budget friendly and get some good product.
    Amplifier is a must with a subwoofer, it is optional (Bust most times recommended) for replacement speakers. But, even when amplifiers are required, you can still get a good build for a decent price.

What kind of sound are you looking for? And what do you really want to do with?

5. mhart

mhart New Member

City, State:
    central Pa
  6. GRNMACHINE

GRNMACHINE Well-Known Member

City, State:
    IL
    95 Sport 4x4
    Havent hade a nice stereo since Nakamichi tape decks and a/d/s amps were considered some of the best out there. That was a long time ago, subscribing to this thread as I am looking to upgrade stock system as well. Would like to get a double din unit and 1 of the 3 options jchamz is looking into. Already upgraded stock speakers, which is a definite must. I think the stock speakers were made of notebook paper.

7. kkreit01

kkreit01 Active Member

City, State:
    Olathe, KS
    '08 Sport Trac V8 2wd XLT
    This site has excellent info:

http://www.bcae1.com/

You have to start with a budget. Then we can make suggestions. Start with a decent HU with the features you want, and a nice set of comps up front. Next, add a 4 chn amp which can power the comps + sub. That is a basic set-up, which doesn't have to cost a lot of $, but will sounds 10x better than stock system.

8. mhart

mhart New Member

City, State:
    central Pa
    you will see a big improvement with an aftermarket head unit and an amp and sub, then work on the door speakers and maybe an amp for them, try to think ahead, if you need 4 ga. wire for one amp, but want to add another down the road, get the 1/0 kit.