some type of clicking noise when i hit a bump...im stumped... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

some type of clicking noise when i hit a bump...im stumped...

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer 4x4
howdy!
ive got a 1993 4 door with now a 5.5 inch lift and SOA. ive had it for about 5 months. this just started not too long ago, but when i hit any bump in the road (big, small anything...) i hear a clicking noise as if 2 things are hitting against each other. i thought it was the exhaust hitting the frame rail but its not. then i thought it was the emergency break line hitting the frame...im pretty sure its not because i tried to replicate the movement it should make and it sounds completely off. im pretty sure its coming from the rear... hope this helps
im stumped and dont know if anyone else has or is experiencing this type of thing. any suggestions on what it is? i would like any type of opinion.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have swaybar quick disconnects? That will rattle as well. I have the same problem, removed them and no rattle.

I decided to weld them together and unbolt when needed. PITA to remove but not as nerve racking.

yes i do. ill check them out. im not sure if its them or not because the noise sounds like a hallow or light sounding clank.

Mine is a slight rattle. It's really bad when I drive down a cobblestone road.

im pretty sure its not them because i stuck my head out the window while driving and it sounded like it could possibly be coming from the rear:dunno:
but its kinda embarrassing pulling up to a light with a big and clean looking truck only to have it rattle all the way there like a ghetto honda...:thumbdwn:

Does it rattle when you are not moving? I had some exhaust parts touching my frame in a few areas. That's another possibility.

the only time the exhaust rattles is when i first start my truck in the morning. i have a side pipe so it hits the frame where it sticks out just before the passenger rear tire.
im about 80% sure that the noise is coming from the rear half of the vehicle.
ive already checked the emergency break line hitting on the frame, regular break line hitting anywhere, and the shackles to see if they are worn or anything. and all ive come up with is nothing.
im thinking it may be a lose part. the noise seems to dissipate when I hit a bump or cause it to make the noise. im going to see if i can get a buddy of mine to drive the car slowly over some speed bumps while i look.
if only there was a way i could get under it while driving...but never in my life will i attempt that.

and if all else fails...ill just tighten every bold under there that i can see...

Dude I have a 5.5" lift and have the same exact problem. I cannot figure what it is. I have tried for the past year with no luck. So if find out what yours is, then let me know haha it might be the same thing

well....i feel pretty stupid.....
nak4af was right.
i thought i checked all the moving parts pretty good last time. i had a buddy drive my car back and forth over this section of brick road near the enterence to my neighborhood and i found the problem. it is the swaybar disconnects. its mainly the "dog bone" vibrating against the TTB which is where i have my pins.
another little test i did was on my way to fill up. i pulled the pins for the swaybar at the gas pump while i was watching the pain increase (fuel prices :thumbdwn:) and drove home with no swaybar. and it was nearly silent.

another thing i found was that my transfer case skid plate was loose and it was hitting the frame. i feel pretty stupid now that i figured out what it is.(thats usually how things seem to go:banghead:)
anyway, thanks for all your help nak4af

and 91exploderdude, have a friend drive over some bumpy spots in a road. also double check the places you thought you checked already....oh and try to remember the times when you hear the noise. i only hear mine on road because anywhere off road i have the swaybar pins pulled. and if it makes all that noise on road over some bricks, its gotta be annoying when wheelin.

Back