• Register Today It's free!

Some Weird Running Issues

93XLTfromOhio

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Vernon Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok, first off I have a 93 Explorer XLT 4x4 with the old 4.0 cologne V6 and 4 speed Automatic transmission, and boy do I have a stumper of a running issue. For a while now my truck seems to have an issue with shifting out of overdrive while running up a hill. I can be at the bottom of a hill running around 55-60mph, as soon as i begin to climb the hill I lose speed fast...more like rapidly without taking my foot off the gas pedal. At this time I can feel a shudder, stumble, burp whatever you want to call it from somewhere in the truck. This will get worse if I simply leave my foot on the pedal until a violent jerk is felt in the truck. If i let the jerk happen the Idle Control Valve goes nuts and will not hold an idle, for instance the next time i put the truck in park after the jerk the rev will just rev till it redlines. Ok so not to encounter the jerk most times I simple put my foot on the brake pedal and the truck magically downshifts to third gear. All will be well for a while till I start to hear a pinging noise and an occasional pop, like a backfire noise. This all goes away and runs fine in overdrive when the truck is back level. Now i have already replaced the following with no results. TPS - Idle Air Control Valve - MAF and Crankshaft Position Sensor. I have looked and examined all of my vacuum lines and they appear normal none are worn or cracked. I have Motorcraft Wires and Finewire Platinum plugs on order and they will be here later this week. Dose anyone think Plugs and wires will solve this or should I start looking for a new vehicle? Any help you guys can lend would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Keep in mind that when you tap the brake, you also disengage the torque converter lockup.

well i think i might have fixed the part about not shifting out of overdrive. The kickdown cable was very loose so i did the tightening procedure and took it for a drive up this hill that it always messes up on. It started the stumbling act but this time when I leaned into the gas it downshifted as normal. Then with high RPMs I still got the pinging and popping and such. So maybe I fixed half of the problem?

Back