• Register Today It's free!

Someone Explain

X DEACON

Reaction score
City, State
Union ,New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EXPLORER XLT
Today I put my 20" wheels on my 2006 EX. It is my understanding that each factory wheel has the TPMS on it and changing the wheels should cause a reading on the dash. I got know warning light at all. Maybe they forgot to put the TPMS on my vehicle. I see it on the window sticker. What's the deal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

depending on what type it is, and hat sensors it uses, if you swap wheels and swap the sensors, the vehicle may notknow the difference at all, we used to do that all the time when i worked next to a body shop on lexus and benz cars

I am not even sure if the factory wheels have the sensors on them. All I did was switch the wheels. The 20's have no sensors in them.

answer this - are the old wheels valve stems metal/aluminum? If so you had TPMS - if they are rubber then you did not have TPMS

-Drew

As far as I understand from what my salesman and Ford Documentation say, EVERY new Explorer has TPMS in/on it. The Federal Gov is requiring all trucks and SUV's to have it by 2008 and all cars to have it by 2010 and Ford is prempting this law to make a statement or what have you.

I am assuming you dont have a TPMS light because there are NO sensors within the receivers range. It would make sense to me that if one sensor was missing or had low air that it would light up and when all four are gone that the system just deactivates itself.

O.K. I checked the tires that came on the vehicle and they have rubber valve stems. So, I guess this means they don't have TPMS sensors in them. Now my question is where is the TPMS? When I turn the key I see the symbol on the dash display.Where is it and how does it work? :confused:

There are two types of TPMS, there is a valve stem version and a version that wraps around the rim itself. I would just call up your dealer and ask what the deal is.

nice, ive got the 18" Chrome rims from Ford

That looks nice. About TPMS : not every 2006 Explorer has ist. Driversbokk says "maybe eqiped with...", even on the rims of my Eddie the same words are printed inside the rims. It has rubber valves and TPMS, belt-mounted on the opposite of the valves. The belt-mounted TPMS-Sensors are used in various colors and must be the same on each wheel, some are eqipped with Valve-TPMS.

Still searching for TPMS-dummys that only gives a "pressure good"-signal unless it´s good or bad, such sensor-dummys fits most of the TPMS on the market I was told.

it would be nice to know if i do or not, since I had a blow out in a rental in Phoenix (06 Grand Marquis no TPS on that one :confused: ) so i am very curious.

it´s easy figuring out if you have TPMS. At a gas-/servicestation , lower the pressure of one tire by r.a. 20 %. When you turn on ign., TPMS will give you a warning message immediatly and the TPMS-Light will be turned on. Otherwise TPMS I would say TPMS is not equiped.

There is a third type as well. It simply counts the number of revolutions each tire makes over a given distance and compares them to each other. Each wheel should be within a certain percentage of each other. When one tire runs low, it runs faster than the other three and trips the system. However, the Explorers are not equipped with this type. (Freestar and Freestyle are)

For the Explorer, there's this:
Principles of Operation

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all 4 road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency (RF) signals, to the smart junction box (SJB). TPMS functionality is integral to the SJB. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS function compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If it has been determined that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the SJB communicates this on the vehicle communication bus to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster then illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center (if equipped).

The system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

and this:

Principles of Operation

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all 4 road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency (RF) signals, to the smart junction box (SJB). TPMS functionality is integral to the SJB. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS function compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If it has been determined that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the SJB communicates this on the vehicle communication bus to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster then illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center (if equipped).

The system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

If the sensors weren't there, the system would know it.

-Joe

But if his aftermarket wheels have no transmitters wouldn't the system assume that the vehicle has never exceeded 20 mph and thus never show any warning? Might explain why he is not seeing any display.

blksn8k said:
But if his aftermarket wheels have no transmitters wouldn't the system assume that the vehicle has never exceeded 20 mph and thus never show any warning? Might explain why he is not seeing any display.

D'OH!!

Oops... didn't proof-read my quotes.... the second quote was supposed to be different. In a nut-shell, it said that if one of the sensors was missing or not sending a signal, it would know and flash an error. That was what led me to believe that they were present.

I'll try and find it when I get to work in the AM and correct it...

Sorry for the confusion.

Took her out on the Highway today about 20 miles. When I stopped surprise there goes the TPMS warning message. Now every time I start her up there is the warning. I have to press reset, then it's gone. Not a big deal to me. ;)

This was supposed to be the second quote in my post above:

Normal Operation
If there is a fault in the TPMS, such as a damaged or missing sensor(s), damaged module or a communication issue within the vehicle, DTCs are set in the smart junction box (SJB), the TPMS warning indicator will flash for 70 seconds and then remain ON solid when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position and the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT.

Possible Causes
TPMS sensor(s) missing
TPMS sensor(s) not trained to the vehicle
TPMS sensor(s) swapped due to wheel swap
TPMS sensor(s) damaged
Vehicle communication issue
SJB

That was what led me to believe that, if you weren't getting a signal due to the lack of sensors, they must be there.

Since you got the fault code, you obviously don't have the sensors anymore. :)

-Joe

Back