something electrical long story please read | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

something electrical long story please read

ovdad7

Reaction score
City, State
norfolk va
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
my girl took her explorer to jump her cousins jeep she pulled up turned car off then he hooked cables up then she went to go turn car on now it sounds like it wants to start but wont checked almost everything all the relays i mean i checked all the fuses everything i could think of need some help never herd of anyone having a problem like this i tried reseting the truck by taking the positive off i have a feeling it has something to the anti theft cause it has fuel goin to the lines everything seems fine any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the engine is turning over?

might be

Is she still trying to start her exp witht he jumpers on the Jeep?
If so remove them and restart.
There is a possibilty that if the cables were but on in reverse that is has killed your battery.
You can have the battery tested free at most DIY auto parts places.
You might want to see about resetting the theft system, although i am sure this has nothing to do with it.
Start simple check the battery terminals for clean tight fit.

I worked with a fellow mechanic and his battery went dead. I trusted him to hook up the cables right (After all we are both ASE mechanics) well he hooked the cables in reverse. He got his car started and we were both on our way till the next morning. We both left our houses and batteries were junk. The reversing of the polarity of the batter killed both batteries.

My .02 cents

Your girls explorer battery was low to begin with, just able to start her truck.
Put the load of the cousions Jeep in the picture and your girls battery is now a gonner.

Easy fix - Replace both batteries.

Battery wasn't low and is still fine, as far as I know the cabels were put on correct and I figured out what was wrong yesterday, bad fuel pump don't understand it myself, guessing te jump somehow jolted fuelpump or it was just a huge qawinceadence Furl pump quit at the same time going to replace this weekend, always something with these exploders yes I ment to say exploder haha love my 90 jeep cherokee thanks for all the replys and gonna do the smart thing and drop the tank not cut into the floor board

When you try to jumpstart another car, NEVER start the "donor" car in the first 3 minutes. Trying to charge a dead battery (in the other car) plus top-off the "good" battery that just started the engine will kill the alternator.
Let the "good" battery charge the "empty" one for some 3 minutes before starting the engine/alternator on the "good" car.

Back