Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry forgot to mention that -- remote radiator somewhere (maybe the back).

The setup would also require moving the rear axle forward to compensate for the front axle moving forward, which means triangulated 4-link, air shocks, fuel cell to clear the 4-link... and even a kitchen sink!

12827.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Dont forget a refrigerator:D

Dont forget a refrigerator:D
That reminds me --

My friend is kinda restoring this old 70 something VW bus for his girlfriend and I knew he had it for a while and I've caught a few glances of it from the outside before. But the other day, it was parked in front of his house and I was helping his brother with his air shocks. So I walk over to the VW and slide the door open and WTF! It has a freaking couch, a sink, and everything! He told me that was all stock and they came like that. I was like maaan, people freaking "motored" in the 70s -- that was the GOOD life.

oh yea the Westfalia VW Vans Don't see many on the road anymore.

Attachments

• ajz-1.jpg
    ajz-1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 828

those maxxis tires are beefy and nice.. Maxxis makes good products.. only tires I run on my Downhill Bike love em.

why not get a set of bias ply iroks 39.5sx13.5 are like 360 a tire with the radials being hundred more. way cheaper

Well thats the backup plan .. if I cant find/afford either some Maxxis Creepies or BFG red Krawlers, then I'll settle for either the soon-to-be-released Interco SX2, or the Iroks.

subscribin so i can learn me something from the good senator, but im to much of an idiot to have any input on the thread other than "subscribin"

now if you do want to talk sinks however ive always found moens to be a good faucet...

IzWack i will sell u my Iroks:D They only have a few trail runs, im wanting to go to 42's. Let me know.

Matt

subscribin so i can learn me something from the good senator, but im to much of an idiot to have any input on the thread other than "subscribin"

now if you do want to talk sinks however ive always found moens to be a good faucet...
Weelllcome, glad to have you aboard as we take another journey into WTF heaven :)

IzWack i will sell u my Iroks:D They only have a few trail runs, im wanting to go to 42's. Let me know.
THanks!! I'll keep your offer in mind. But just note that tires arent the greatest priority right now because I still have plenty of other things to order just to be able to get the axle on the vehicle.

Teeny Weeeny Progress:
Seeing as I've sold my existence to the dark lord, leaving me nocturnal and feeding on the weak and the homeless, I thought I'd give ye 'ol pinion nut a whirl at 1am (since stupid me forgot to loosen it before removing the carrier). So in went the carrier and whadaya know.. broken D44 axle shafts are perfect for wedging into the carrier to prevent it from spinning during the pinion nut removal ordeal:

pinion_nut_removal.jpg

pinion_nut_removed.jpg

So where are working on this axle at? in the front room ?

In front of the front door haha

I have a few shafts if ya need some extras ahah lol stupid shafts

No you mortals, this is the basement where I butcher those that I feed on.

Signing off for the night,
Count Obama (<--- has a nice ring to it)

Just got done regearing the 60. Man did i learn a lot from my friend Adam when he did it. It was a pain in the butt. Why couldn't it be like the 14 bolt?

I'm getting ready to regear mine tsooo.. I spent a few mins and went through all the bearings and seals Spas gave me matching up part numbers and so on ( found that Timken upgraded the carrier bearing and the carrier bearing is exactly the same as the inner wheel bearing).

But before I regear, I think (this weekend) I ought to liberate the inner knuckle first (as in cut and get them ready to turn) . I figured, since I'm going to have to do that anyway (to set the caster), I might as well do it now and lighten the housing a bit for the reagear process.

One thing thats really weird is that I found TWO! crush sleeve in the gear install kit -- but the D60 doesnt have a crush sleeve (at least not an the pinion). So 97 V8, the question is, did you have to use a crush sleeve or two?

EDIT: here are the two little guys:
crush_sleeve.jpg

no sir, i don't even know why they gave that to me. I also used a newer model spicer seal. It pins on itself, rather than in the seal. Its hell to push the shaft in but it seals great.

Another thing is, disregard the stock shims as a baseline.

Another thing is, disregard the stock shims as a baseline.
I called Randy's R&P last time and asked them for a baseline when I did the D44 -- I'll call them again this time to get a figure.

I'm getting ready to regear mine tsooo.. I spent a few mins and went through all the bearings and seals Spas gave me matching up part numbers and so on ( found that Timken upgraded the carrier bearing and the carrier bearing is exactly the same as the inner wheel bearing).

But before I regear, I think (this weekend) I ought to liberate the inner knuckle first (as in cut and get them ready to turn) . I figured, since I'm going to have to do that anyway (to set the caster), I might as well do it now and lighten the housing a bit for the reagear process.

One thing thats really weird is that I found TWO! crush sleeve in the gear install kit -- but the D60 doesnt have a crush sleeve (at least not an the pinion). So 97 V8, the question is, did you have to use a crush sleeve or two?

EDIT: here are the two little guys:
crush_sleeve.jpg

Some 60's use shims and some use crush sleaves to set pinion preload. U can go with the baseline and get luck and not have to shim it. I set up gears alot at work and 75% of the time get lucky and not have to re-shim it. Every axle is different.

Some 60's use shims and some use crush sleaves to set pinion preload ... Every axle is different.
Well thats a relief -- cauz my gunz of steel aren't up to par for crushing sleeves this year.
arnold20schwarzenegger20nazi.jpg

But then again, I still gotta train for the Kingpin removal Olympics -- with the 7/8" allen wrench :confused:. Seriously, who in the right mind would make something with a 7/8" allen wrench?!?

Back