Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Page 50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scored a brand spanking new (zero miles) manual 1354 -- ever so shiny this be :)

newtcase1.jpg

newtcase2.jpg

The weird thing is that its from "ROUSCH" (whatever that is), so I'm expecting at LEAST another 120 additional horsepower from it (on top of the 4 my engine produces).

rousch.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Did you order it with that U-joint end for the front driveshaft?

How come the bolt holes for the shift motor aren't there?

Did you order it with that U-joint end for the front driveshaft?
All my other 1354s have a U-joint yoke at the front so I'm assuming thats pretty much the norm.

How come the bolt holes for the shift motor aren't there?
Cauz its a manual and it doesnt need a shift motor ;)

Just curious why you are going with a 1354 when there are so much better options, like an Atlas.

ahhh! stick a piece of cardboard or an ESD bag under there at least... that metal laptop table scares me that you are going to accidentally short it.

ESD bags are conductive as well. Don't operate electronics on top of ESD bags. They may not be highly conductive, but they are conductive by design.

All my other 1354s have a U-joint yoke at the front so I'm assuming thats pretty much the norm.
Is that a norm? Both my trucks have a CV axle at that location. Or is that a norm with the manual 1354s?

Just curious why you are going with a 1354 when there are so much better options, like an Atlas.
Atlas is like over $2k - I can get four 40" Maxxis Creepies for that price.

ahhh! stick a piece of cardboard or an ESD bag under there at least... that metal laptop table scares me that you are going to accidentally short it.
There's a piece of foam under that board to support most of its weight. But fear not, I am now the proud owner of a DB9 serial cable - yes all six feet of it :).

Is that a norm? Both my trucks have a CV axle at that location. Or is that a norm with the manual 1354s?
My guess is that there is a true CV-based 1354 manual out there because the Ranger must've switched to the CV front driveshaft at some point. But I have had three 1354 manuals now and they are all U-joint yokes at the front - which is good becuse the U-joints are serviceable where as the CV is not.

the late model edge and sport trac 1354 is cv style, unfortunatley

where in the world do you buy a new 1354 manual? is it a reman or is it a never used unit?
regardless nice find!
now you just need to double it

Atlas is like over $2k - I can get four 40" Maxxis Creepies for that price.

I have had three 1354 manuals now.

I know the Atlas is pricey, but it's worth it and I guess I am just a little confused on why you would do such an awesome build on the truck, and then skimp on the drivetrain.

For the price of those three 1354 manuals, you probably could have gotten an Atlas.

Jusyt my .02 cents, but I totaly understand the fact that in a build yo have to figure out where the money will be spent. It's still going to be awesome when it's done.

the late model edge and sport trac 1354 is cv style, unfortunatley

where in the world do you buy a new 1354 manual? is it a reman or is it a never used unit?
regardless nice find!
now you just need to double it
I found it on E-bay and yep, its totally brand new -- must've been sitting in the corner somewhere for years!

And I have my doubler :)
adapter_stack.jpg

wait, didnt you already have a 1354 man case? or was it just an auto in front of the doubler

Yeah I already have a manual 1354 but all this talk of the 4 vs 6 gear planetary in the doubler made me want to butcher up the current 1354 and use its 6 gear planetary in the doubler.

Video of MegaSquirt now reading input from the Stimulator with me playing around with the knobs on the Stimulator (changing values of IAT, TPS, O2, RPM, etc...)

I remember doing that when I assembled my MS. Good feeling isn't it?

You Know you an Explorerholic when your mesmerized by such a video :D

(ya i know wrong thread so sue me :p:)

I remember doing that when I assembled my MS. Good feeling isn't it?
Most definitely is!! :)

As for today: some sort of a front panhard mount on the chassis end:

frontpanhard2.jpg

What are you doing in this spot. More pictures of how you did it.

Attachments

• frontpanhard2.jpg
    frontpanhard2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 399

Back