Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Page 60 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Floor and most of the interior is probably going to be aluminum of some sort.

Test fitting the driver ...
driving2.jpg

that steering wheel is so small, I can barely see it. I saw the sheet of expanded metal on the wall and thought you might be doing something similar to my fab guys work.

Saltfront.jpg

I know there is a complaint with dust and mud coming up from guys going that route but otherwise it's pretty slick, but I know you'll have no issues with mud.

I saw the sheet of expanded metal on the wall and thought you might be doing something similar to my fab guys work.
Yeah I actually dont remember why I bought those things... I think its for the two rig's rear bumper, but I forget.

Needs more triangulation! :p:

Saltfront.jpg

I know there is a complaint with dust and mud coming up from guys going that route but otherwise it's pretty slick, but I know you'll have no issues with mud.
That's because your uniforms don't cost $250.00 a set.
I want to get that guys beat though, beats the heck out of the freeway.

Hey, Iz, you going to start writing in the web to save the pig??

Ahah ohhhhh, got it. Thanks!

Needs more triangulation! :p:

:D

BTW notice that looks to be a Chevy truck frame, but it has a 1994-95 Cobra cowl hood on it. :confused:

Jeff - :navajo:

:D
BTW notice that looks to be a Chevy truck frame, but it has a 1994-95 Cobra cowl hood on it. :confused:

Jeff if you're talking about Hunter's buggy, you're absolutely right, it's like a 78 chevy, cut off the frame right behind the transmission mounts, walks through emissions no problem. It also is a cobra hood, and if anybody could guess the headlamps, I'd say Izwack could by looking around his driveway.

Brian- the rig is a volunteer unit on the sheriff's posse, he owns it and maintains it on his own. Everyone always asks if the dept. confiscated it from a drug dealer LOL.

If I got my hands on a stock first gen I'd like to do something similar but with a TTB setup, that's a true definition of a body diet!

IZ-a guy building his buggy when my truck was in the shop got a full aluminum floor if you want me to try to get some pics.

That'd be cool Danny - the main thing I'm interested in are the attachments - like if they used rivets, screws, or whatever.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, I thought the buggy was owned by a law enforcement agency. In California, its not legal to outfit a vehicle like a law enforcement vehicle, unless its owned by that law enforcement agency. And you can never put red lights on your personal vehicle.

Using conduit for mock up was an excellent idea!:chug:

I agree, Rick you think you would have saved a few sticks on the dart that came up short?

Brian- it's still used in sheriff's work, there is a volunteer unit for Rick's buddy Sheriff Joe http://www.mcsoposse.org/

It took John like 3-4 years but now he's a full weapon carrying volunteer. He also has fabbed up some other cool stuff, like those big rams that 3-4 guys smash through a door.

Do dzus fasteners on the floor panels... then you can pop them out and work on it through the floor. :chug:

Yeah ill use dzus for access ports like near the shift levers. But still ze non-removable "aluminium" must be fastened to the chassis. I've seen ppl use powered riveters but drilling a hundred holes for rivets reminds me of the african bambaataa - the zulu nation. But if I must drill then I must drill.
Posted via Mobile Device

Started on this piece:
cagecross.jpg

Cut out two of these (top/bottom) to simplify the junction of tubes at the center of the chassis:
centerplate1.jpg

Put in some internals:
centerplate2.jpg

Welded the internals:
centerplate3.jpg

And yeah there are some undwelded sections but I did lay a bead on them after I took the pic!

Back