Sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't

Dupontrocks11

Reaction score
City, State
Clemson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello everyone,

It's been a couple months since I've been on the forum, but my 2001 Sport finally decided not to start today, and I want to go through it's past misbehavior to try and solve my problem, and help others who may have the same problem.

To start off, it's a clean Georgia 2001 Ex Sport with 157k miles. I've taken it up and down from SC to MA twice, along with driving it 30 minutes to work ED during the summer, and have only ever really had a few problems with it. To this day, it's never given me a CEL.

Problems in order:
-When I bought it, the gauge warning light would be on after startup, and gauges like the oil and temp wouldn't kick in until I was a few miles down the road. Sometimes they would kick in at start up. The revometer also had this problem. Previous owner told me it had been doing that since 14k miles when she bought it.

-First time it stalled, I got a battery light indicator, lost power steering and the like. Pulled over, started it again, started right up no problem. Chalked it up to bad battery terminal connections. This happened a few other times.

-Later, it started to surge at stop lights every once in a while. The engine would rev up and down without my foot on the gas. Shifting into neutral and letting it idle before shifting back into drive would fix it.

Also when braking at low speeds, the car would lurch forward a bit every tire rotation. I chalked this up to the rotor being warped or having a hot spot, although I never confirmed it.

-Next, upon start up, shifting into reverse or drive would occasionally cause it to stall. After a stall like this, it would turn over and chug for about 5 seconds before slamming into idle. The whole car would shake when it did this. Sometimes it clunked hard into gear, other times it was fine.

-Recently, I've noticed it shifting a bit harder. I can feel it changing into lower gears. Still has good acceleration and speed.

Today, it decided to not start up at all. It just turned over and chugged until I let go. On the second attempt, I cut it off when it had just started to shake, which is usually an indication of it finally getting going. Would not turn over after that. After many expletives, I decided to leave it be and use my moped for the night.

Any upfront ideas that might be helpful? I am going to check the fuel pump primer when I get home, but until then I can't do much. The car runs fantastic when it's running, and when it does decided to start up, it starts up immediately (within 1-2 seconds), faster than my girlfriends 2012 Hyundai Elantra.

If your battery is holding 12+ volts and all your connections are good, I would take off my alternator and have it tested at an auto parts store. That is where I would start. Just my opinion.

I think you may be on to something with the fuel pump.

i think you may be on to something with the fuel pump.

+1. And if you end up changing the pump, don't buy an Aixtex pump. I highly recommend Bosch.

Back