• Register Today It's free!

Sorry but, 44 outers on 35 inner

67truckguy

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 xlt, '94ltd
I hate to beat a dead horse, but has anyone actually installed 44 outers on the 35 inner? I have read plenty of 5 year old posts but am really looking for a simple anwser. I want to install the chevy 44 dust shield with 44 TTB spindle and rotor and I assume chevy axle stub. I cut the brake ears off a spare 35 knuckle, drilled for 6 hole spindle, mounted spindle onto knuckle, chevy backing plate on top and found Ford 5 on 5.5 rotor rubs on backing plate. Original plan was 8 lug, which worked perfectly. Unfortunately there is no custom 8 lug 8.8 rear axle shafts on the planet. If I used the 44 ttb knuckle, what do I use for the upper camber/caster bushing and what ball joint? I am tired of screwing around with this so if anyone can help, thanks in advance! P.S. The Moab trip is coming soon! Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know Happy Jack has them installed on his. Maybe he can help.

I believe Kris Guilbeaux did this as well.

http://www.mappyjack.com/Dana44.htm

That's what I'm still running on my BII. It has had several off road trips and a bunch of DD miles on it with no problems. I am running the GM outter shafts.

Happy Jack! Just the guy I wanted to talk to! My problem is the ttb rotor rubs on the backing plate before the inner wheel brg. contacts the race. It seems like the Ford rotor has more "back space" than the GM rotor. I have basically followed your thread directions, but I am stumped as to how yours cleared and mine does not. My parts are however junk yard so '85 ttb stuff and '77 Chevy backing plate and calipers. Thanks for the response guys! Hope to see you in Moab Rick.

Ding ding ding! Happy Jack I just read your post for the hundreth time in the last two years and caught the term "GM spindle", I am triing to use the Ford ttb spindle. Thanks for your earlier reply and for sorting through this conversion and writing the thread.:D:D

If you are buying new last I checked Jeff's Bronco Graveyard had a good price. It's the same spindle they sell for the disc brake conversion for the early bronco. That was years ago though.

Glad you worked it out. Have fun in Moab. I'll be out down south on Sunday for a week. I'll be useing my Bronco II and 44 outers.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-12117B-d44-disk-brake-conversion-spindle.html That should be it. You can check around for pricing.

Thanks again Happy Jack. Enjoy your trip.

Ya'll have fun in Moab. If ya have time we'll be going in HITR from near the Halls Crossing Airport on monday May 23rd. 150 miles south and west of Moab.

Back