sorry im sure this has been covered a million times but... i need 4x4 help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sorry im sure this has been covered a million times but... i need 4x4 help

92_sport

Reaction score
City, State
reno, nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
As the title says i am sorry, im sure this has been covered a million times but i work to much to read thru all the threads. My 4x4 wont engage, i did have time to read about testing the 4x4 computer, did and it passed. No lights on dash or by buttons when pressed, where should i start? Im new to the whole auto hubs and electronic 4x4 stuff so please spell it out for me like a little kid. I remember something about banging on a shifer motor, were exactly is it? Maybe a relay or fuse? Which ones would they be? This is a 911 type deal because we are getting 6-8 inches of snow per day and the mustang is horrible in the snow. Can i put it in 4x4 manually? If so, how? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

many many times ;)

heres link to a recent thread, its short so not a lot of reading but still helpful
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300762

heres link to shift motor thread, more reading BUT VERY INFORMATIVE!!!
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542&highlight=shift+motor

can be put in 4x4 manually by taking shift motor off and using pliers, vice grips, etc to turn the triangle looking shaft on back of transfer case where shift motor is. [shift motor has to come off to be put in 4x4 manually (manual 4x4 wont help if auto hubs are trashed though)]

heres link to hub info (first post in this thread has MANY links for hub problems, testing, etc.)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232754&highlight=auto+hubs

So you got all the snow. Only had rain at Big Bear this weekend and washed away all the snow except for the ski slopes.

Lets see if we can help with your issue.
The shift motor is located under the vehicle (drivers side) on the back side of the transfer case next the the driveshaft heading to the rear of the vehicle.
I don't know how long it has been since you had it in 4wd, but it is a good rule to shift it in every now and then to keep things lubed and free. I have read posts where the front hubs won't lock because the grease in them become hardend. I'm sure the cold up there doesn't help that issue. I also believe that the 91-94 had some type of vaccume line which assisted with the shifting to 4wd. Not 100% sure but remember reading something like that.

I don't know which fuse so I guess check them all.

Let us know if you get it working and what it was.
Stay warm and good luck

I also believe that the 91-94 had some type of vaccume line which assisted with the shifting to 4wd. Not 100% sure but remember reading something like that.

nope no vaccum on the first gen's. i believe that is 95 and/or 96

Right on guys thanks alot ill have a look when i get home... and i have NO idea how long its been since it was put in 4wd. I just bought it last night for $325 cuz the guy thought the tranny was shot... low and behold it was out of fluid. Put fluid in and it runs AWESOME was able to romp around the front 40 of my property in just 2wd, we'll see how it REALLY does when i get it in 4x4. Anyways thanks again and any other advice is greatly appreciated!!! And remember... keep the shiney side up

Welcome to Explorer4x4.com and congrats on your new ride :burnout:
If you haven't already take a peek at the 4x4 Troubleshooting guide which has detailed information for diagnosing 4x4 problems.

Im new to the whole auto hubs and electronic 4x4 stuff so please spell it out for me like a little kid.
Maybe a relay or fuse? Which ones would they be?

Great info from Ranger-93:thumbsup:, Look at the threads for photos of the Transfer case and motor.

Don't think anyone answered your question about fuses.
I found a 93 owners manual. Looks like the 4x4 electric shift is a 30 amp located at #13 in the power distribution box undet the hood. You may check #7 on the inside fuse box a 15 amp for cluster warning lamps and electric all wheel drive

I think I would check these before taking off the shift motor.

Keep us posted

Attachments

• scan0005e.jpg
    scan0005e.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 322

So another quick question... if i pull off the shift motor to rebuild tomorrw night, can i leave it manually switched in 4wd to get to work in the morning? Will it hurt anything not having the motor on it while driving it around?

So another quick question... if i pull off the shift motor to rebuild tomorrw night, can i leave it manually switched in 4wd to get to work in the morning? Will it hurt anything not having the motor on it while driving it around?

You don't want to be driving around in 4 wheel drive. It will destroy stuff. You can only use the 4x4 on snow/mud etc.. not pavement. Even with snow in the forecast, what if the roads are clean. You would have to climb under in the slush to switch it back.

Yea thats no big deal and i know not to drive on payvement in 4wd the problem is mu mustang physically can NOT make it the 1/2 mile up my driveway in these conditions so i need the explorer to drive. Im not worried about changing in and out of 4wd under the car as that is currently a NEEDED thing for my livelyhood. But my question was... will driving it without the motor on there hurt anything.

Sorry for any confusion on that lol

Yea thats no big deal and i know not to drive on payvement in 4wd the problem is mu mustang physically can NOT make it the 1/2 mile up my driveway in these conditions so i need the explorer to drive. Im not worried about changing in and out of 4wd under the car as that is currently a NEEDED thing for my livelyhood. But my question was... will driving it without the motor on there hurt anything.

driving without the shift motor on the transfer case will not hurt anything.

just remember to get the brown wire out of the harness end (dont know what the brown wire controls so just remember that it's not connected if a guage or something wierd happens)

Ok thanks, i was. just worried about dirt or snow gettin up there and hurting the t case. And how should i go about the brown wire deal?

disconnect harness and take a thin tool with a hook (best tool iv used is a dental pick), and IIRC theres a red plastic thing that keeps all wires from being pulled out, this needs to come out first. after that theres a hook type retainer that holds the wire in, put your tool in there to push the retainer up and pull wire from the back and it should slide right out.

i also forgot about the sensor thats to the right of the shift motor. idk what id dot about it being there but i believe its a sensor for 4lo. it detects if the driveshaft is moving or not because the TC cannot be put in 4lo while the vehicle is moving...this wouldnt be a problem if your gonna put TC in 4x4 manually because you (the driver lol) will be under the truck not in the drivers seat lol

So i read about putting a match mark on something? What part exactly should i mark to realign correctly? A pic might be helpful if anyone has one

Before you pull it why not try to have someone push the button while you tap the shift motor with a hammer. Could have some come gunk built up and it could loosen up with a little tap tap tap. I do this all the time with power windows in my trail rig and my wife's mustang. :)

If that fixes it look for a thread here (i know it exists) that tells you how to rebuild the shift motor.

Good luck!

I already tried the tapping it... still nothing. So im pullin it to rebuild today since i had my dads yota til today and the snow finally melted

Well nevermind, i ended up figuring that out kby lookin real close at the pics in the rebuild thread. And found enough reason to stop this rebuild right here... the 6 "finger like" contacts as soon as u open it up.... well... i have 4... the others appear to have burned and broke off. So i guess its manually putting it in 4x4 til i get a new or used one to rebuild. But thanks for all ur help. Sure i'll have many questions to come. Oh one more thing... should i put the weight back on the t case or does it matter without the shifter motor?

The weight was added as a fix to dampen a driveline vibration issue at higher speeds (>55 or so IIRC). It's not related to the shift motor. Ford thought it was important enough to produce and install them, so I would spend a few min with the ratchet and put it back. I see no problem with leaving it off for a bit until you fix the motor, except for the bolt holes filling with road junk and salt.

Now is also a good time to change the fluid, while it's off and you can get to the plug which is hidden by the weight. (I know, more work in the cold.... :D )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back