soud cuts out over any bump please read and help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

soud cuts out over any bump please read and help

ctxploder

Reaction score
City, State
Thompson Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer xlt v8
ok so heres the issue ive had a few different systems in my 97 xlt 5.0 but recently after off roading my radio will not turn off or anything but my sound cuts out dead nothing i tried replacing the deck thought that would fix it its a kenwood kvt-514 which is what i returned my kvt-512 in for. that did not help i dont think i have factory amps because ive never had to bypass anything before and i dont have the built in sub i have 2 12'type rs. now if i turn the radio off and back on it will work till the next slight bump or anything then die out again. i can sit still and slam bass and it will work fine the bass should be enough to trigger some sign but nothing. any input is welcome and greatly appreciate do i have factory amps i do have the rear audio controls but no longer connected and all my wiring to the deck and speakers in in order and what not

it is not the deck if you put another in and it followed it to the new one. It is either your wiring just behind the deck (if you spliced into the OEM harness you might have a bad butt connector) or the OEM harness is damaged somewhere and grounding out. It may even just be a fuse wiggling it's way out - known issue on these. Worst case scenario you bypass the factory amp altogether and run a direct power supply to the deck. I would almost guarantee that it's a loose wire or insulation that is missing and grounding out.

well i know its not the the wires behind the deck ive checked all that and i never cut the factory harness i bought the proper **** to install it but when u say fuses which ones are you referring to and are you saying there is a factory amp in my truck i dont know i was under the impression that i did not

It sounds like you have an external Amp and the connections to it are loose which is a common problem. Some '97s still had external amps behind the right rear interior panel in the cargo area.

Back