1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Sound from front drivers door only - Intermittent

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by With_him, August 26, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. With_him

With_him New Member

City, State:
      Pella, IA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2008 Explorer EB, V8
      I have an 08 Eddie Bauer with Rear Entertainment System. I generally use Bluetooth to listen to my tunes through sync and occasionally the radio. Recently it will only play from the front drivers door speaker. Sometimes if I turn the ignition off, open the door and then start up again it will work with all 4 speakers but doesn't work all the time.

Do the smart people on here have any ideas?

FYI I do have a Viper remote start and aftermarket speakers installed. Speakers have been installed for more than 4 years and the remote starter was installed in January. It has been working fine up until recently.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. bobditts

bobditts Active Member

City, State:
      las vegas, Nevada
      2007 Explorer XLT
      Check the physical connections. Could be the harness behind the head unit. Are the speakers externally amplified?

4. Scorpion8

Scorpion8 Active Member

City, State:
      SouthEast Alaska
      2006 Explorer XLT
      Is it a selectable option? My Bluetooth set-up allowed for front-only playback or all-four-speaker playback. I guess the assumption is that folks in back may want to listen to their own stuff, so you'd playback as front-only. That or there's a short in your door wiring, probably at the bendable-pass-thru.

5. With_him

With_him New Member

City, State:
      Pella, IA
      2008 Explorer EB, V8
      okay so I dug into it today and everything behind the radio was still plugged in fine. I pulled the door panel off and checked the speaker connection. It was corroded somewhat were the adapter connected to the factory harness. I pulled it out and sprayed a good deal of electric cleaner in there. I also tried to scrape the pins with a needle nose pliers and then turned the pins about 10 degrees and used copper anti-seize on the pins before I reassembled. It works now but I am looking at how cheap and small gauge the wire adapters are to the aftermarket speakers and I am wondering if I should just delete the whole quick disconnect adapted and go with a direct to the speaker with some decent wire.

My concern is that I am not sure what gauge to use for the wire. I am not currently using any amp and may put a small one in some day for the door speakers but not likely unless people believe I will notice a world of difference. The wiring doesn't scare me, but having enough space behind the dash is a little concerning.

Does anyone have recommendations on a small amp only for the 4 Door speakers? I currently have a factory head unit so the amp likely won't happen until I replace the head unit but I would like to pull the wire now if those here think it is a good idea.

So long story shorter it was the connections in the door to the factory plugs that were the problem. I have aftermarket speakers and wonder if deleting the adapters would prevent me from having any issues in the future? If I am going that far should I just pull new wire? If so what gauge wire should I use and do you have any recommendations?

6. With_him

With_him New Member

City, State:
      Pella, IA
      2008 Explorer EB, V8
      Update. It wasn't the door wires as I thought. A couple of days later they stopped working but I didn't turn the radio off like I normally would have, I was distracted by actually driving. :) Then after 3 minutes or so the radio just started playing with sound coming out the speakers normally. What changed you might ask, well I had turned the A/C on in my hot car to cool me down. At this point, I am thinking there must be some capacitor or other wiring issues that acts up when the car interior us exceedingly warm. I haven't done anything to the system and I haven't had a problem in the past 6 weeks so I am going with when warm metal expands and the world stops inside the head unit. So at some point, I will update/upgrade the head unit and then they should solve the problem. I hope.