Sound from motor, can't figure out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sound from motor, can't figure out

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmicAffliction

Reaction score
City, State
Westville, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
So on my way home from town today I went through a little dirt road ally (it was a pretty bumpy and rough road) and once I got onto the road, it was probably 20 seconds before it started making some strange sound. At first I thought it was something rubbing the fan but I checked and there was nothing (there's some cracks in the fan but they don't look new so I don't wanna say that's it). The sounds a kind of popping sound coming from the intake manifold area, it kinda sounds like an exhaust leak but it's not coming from the exhaust. It changed with rpms not speed, but I don't notice a lack of power or response or anything. Everything's normal except that sound. And it's loud enough I can hear it over my catback exhaust cut at the cats. I was searching and I found a video with a similar sound but it had no explanation but a comment said no oil, I checked the oil and it's full, which I JUST changed it. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. It's a 98 explorer sport with a v6 sohc from a 3rd gen explorer, it's been running lean lately if that will help anyone out at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Running lean should be fixed with new intake gaskets before you ping a piston, which could have already happened. Ticking under load is either an exhaust leak, worn rod bearing or a slapping piston.

Running lean should be fixed with new intake gaskets before you ping a piston, which could have already happened. Ticking under load is either an exhaust leak, worn rod bearing or a slapping piston.
How would I know if I pinged a piston?

So I made another thread a couple days ago but I'm making a new one but this one has a video attached of the sound. It started while I was driving the other day and it's gotten worse and now sounds like this (video). It seems to be coming from the driver side head. I've been told everything from exhaust leak to bad lifters, so any help would be great. It's my 98 Exploder Sport with an 03 4.0 sohc, fresh oil change

Death rattle-timing chains. I recommend shopping for a remanufactured engine since you'll need to pull this one out to fix it. Or, purchase a v8 awd explorer to do an engine swap. The sohc engine has inherent timing chain issues.

Buying a salvage engine just buys this problem all over again.

I have merged the 2 threads. Please, one thread for one issue so everyone can stay on track. Bouncing back and forth between threads gets confusing for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back