• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire Rim

Puckboy106

Reaction score
City, State
Linthicum Heights, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Have used the Spare Tire here and there, but recently needed to use it while a tire was being repaired. The rim was pretty badly rusted. Structurally is sound but a lot of scale rust is flaking off.

Question: Do I take this rim to a refurb shop for a basic sand blasting/paint job or is it cheaper to just replace the rim and recycle this one?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have used the Spare Tire here and there, but recently needed to use it while a tire was being repaired. The rim was pretty badly rusted. Structurally is sound but a lot of scale rust is flaking off.

Question: Do I take this rim to a refurb shop for a basic sand blasting/paint job or is it cheaper to just replace the rim and recycle this one?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

just go to the salvage yard to get a spare wheel. lots of steel ranger rims around.

I have a thought regarding rusty steel spare wheels... there's a product called Cosmoline. it's been around forever and it's purpose is to prevent rust. it's the same stuff that brake rotor manufacturers put on steel an cast iron parts to prevent them from rusting during shipping and storage. below is a link. the spray-on stuff should work great, but it definitely ain't cheap. if it can stop a brake rotor from rusting while it's shipped over the ocean on a boat from China, it should work on a spare wheel.

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-sprays/

Cosmoline! When I was a kid (many eons ago) my dad brought home a new Chevy Apache Series 20 truck. The interior smelled new but the engine compartment smelled kinda' like burning oil but more pungent. My dad always said "It's the Cosmoline burnin' off, son."

+1 for cosmoline. If it can keep 75+ years old rifles from rusting away, I think a truck wheel will be fine. If it were me, I'd probably just wire wheel the rust off and spray bomb it. Just check on it periodically.

My Dad told me decades ago about cleaning cosmoline off of spare airplane parts and new weapons on the carrier Lexington in 1943!!

Back