Speaker Down! Wiring Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speaker Down! Wiring Problem

CarlPalmer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer
I bought this 1997 Ford Explorer 2 door with the Cd Changer used. The guy before me did some real sloppy wiring in of extra audio components.

The problem is that the front driver side speaker is out. I popped the panel, replaced the speaker and nothing. The wires are dead.

I found a diagram that shows the wires coming out of the radio, where they go to the amp. (what?!) amp? I simply want to run 2 new wires to that speaker. I figured that you just go from the back of the deck, but that doesn't seem true.

The wire colors in the door match what colors are coming from the amp. I need to find the amp, or some place to tap into the outbound wires, and test to see if I am getting juice at that point.

Please be detailed. I have done very little car repair, but if I can figure it out, I am always sucessful. Eventually anyway. Shops would love to charge my hours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, got that diagram. :)

Any info on how to get that panel off?

Any idea how the wires are routed through the car? I assume that the wires are broken in the door hinge bundle, but that is only a guess.

Here is a quick overview of removal:

TOOLS REQUIRED FOR INSTALLATION:
Phillips Head Screwdriver T50 Torx
15mm Wrench 8mm Socket
1/4” Socket Ratchet
6” Ratchet Extension 11/32” Socket
Panel Puller

1. Remove the retractable cargo cover.
2. Remove the liftgate scuff plate, start from one end and pull up slowly working
your way over the other side.
3.Pull back the cargo floor carpet and remove the three phillips head screws
holding the trim panel to the floor.
4. Remove the safety belt to floor nut.
Unsnap and remove the safety belt bolt cover.
Pull from bottom
6. Remove the safety belt bolt.T50 Torx
7. Remove passenger side door sill trim. Held into place by three clips. Pull
slowly from the front; it will unsnap easily.
8. Use a panel pulling tool to pull out plastic push pins in quarter panel trim.
Older models have phillips head screws holding this panel on, remove them. Pull
panel free from vehicle (be careful, it’s a large piece take your time it will
probably catch at the front. Thread the rear safety belt through the opening in the
quarter trim panel.

hold up there for one second!

do you have a cd changer? I believe you said you did.

well!

the speakers also run through that before going to the amp.

you may want to check the connection there at the plug for the cd changers first.

then with a meter you should be able to find the power lead in the connector and the ground.

then what should be left is the speaker wiring in and out of the cd changer. jumping the right set of wires there should give you sound.

if the driver side front speaker is not working, but the rear one is. the amp should be good and something else in the circuit is not working.

Nice! Thanks!

Another day curled up in unnatural locations trying to make my Truck behave! woo Hoo! Happy New Year! :)

If you have a rear integrated control panel you could also have a problem there. The speaker wires don't run through the CD changer, the left and right pre-amp level outputs do though. Look at the schematic and follow the signal from amp to speaker or from speaker to amp measuring signal or using continuity tests. When my 98 did the craziness it was the rear integrated panel causing it.

Good luck and have a happy new year.

good point!
forgot about the rear speakers and radio channel controls.

but on my 97 with premium sound the cd changer had to be plugged in to get any sound out of the speakers.

so if it is being removed or doesn't work some wire will need jumpers to complete the circuit.

Make your job easier. Pull the front seat on the side your working on. Its 4 bolts & worth every minute it takes to do. When I work on my Ranger stereo its my first job.

Looks like this may wait a couple weeks till I put heated pads in the seats. Gotta pull em for that anyway.

This is all great info! Thanks guys! Hopefully it is just a bad wire in the door bundle. If not, looks like a process to track down. (fingers crossed)

Back