Speed Control Cannot Maintain Speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed Control Cannot Maintain Speed

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
I went to a tranny shop and they pulled an error with ther Snap On tool.
The error was "Speed Control Cannot Maintain Speed".

Now does this meen I have to have this tranny rebuilt?

The shift is slugish on the final 2 gears..and when you get off the trottle and back on the tranny stalls then kicks in. It sometimes will clunk loudly. Maybe this is why my gas mileage has also suffered. At Highway..the damn thing shifts up and down so much its annoying, especially if I am not on the trottle at 70mph constantly. It does it more than I know is normal. Seems to be "gear hunting " a lot.

So anyone with any tranny knowledge, I would appreciate some feedback.
I have a warranty, but if this is not a rebuild which the shop suggested, I don't want to subject my coverage to pay for something unecessary. The extended warranty companies can be funny about what they want to pay for and I don't want to have any over charges for nothing. So later when something big happens I don't have any coverage issues.

Thanks
V

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I change the speed control myself?

Bringing this back to the top, just in case someone in the day hours can help.

Any transmission guys out there who can give me some help?

I am going to start by saying I am more or less speculating here, but I have SOME foundation on which to do that. The 5R series of transmissions have had more than their share of valve body problems. (The valve body is the "brain", if you will, that shifts the transmission.) If it were mine, I'd have someone run every applicable TSB (technical service bulletin) FORD has put out on this transmission. As I recall 2002 had a few. I am thinking your transmission issues are valve body related, and not a rebuild issue. VB issues can be resolved with the transmission IN the car. Hope this helps. (And YES, I suspect your code is trannie related.)

Thanks Glacier991, for taking the time to give me some helpful info.

I am going to take it to a Ford Service Center very soon. Today after breaking hard from about 30mph the truck started to roll backwards when I took my food off the brake. The engine reved freely as I reapplied the brakes then waited a few seconds to get back on the trottle. That worked and I was able to continue driving. For a second there I thought the truck somehow jumped into Neutral.

Happy to hopefully have been of assistance. At least you know what to ask them to do. Let us know how it all shakes out, that is also very helpful for others!

Back