Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Speedometer Problem Bouncing Buzzing

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by crivas13, October 1, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. crivas13

crivas13 New Member

City, State:
      Dallas, Texas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 Limited
      Hi,

My speedometer jumps about 10 MPH and kind of buzzes when i hit around 65 sometimes by itself or when i hit a bump. I could sometimes hit the top of the dash and it would stop momentarily. I took it to the dealership and they said it was a bad speedo head, but i dont think they did any extensive checking, said it would be $800 to fix. I took the dash off this weekend and disconnected it, shot a little white lithium grease on both ends and now it jumps around at 45 or more and buzzes. When i pushed the cable back in i pushed intil it clicked. Should i buy a new cluster on eBay or is it maybe the cable. I see that they have the new cable at autozone for 3.95. Is the cable hard to change? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
      Carlos

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Try a search for speedometer bouncing. I know there have been a few threads about it. From memory, I think it has to do with maybe the cable being loose at the back of the speedo, but I am unsure about that. But I know a search will benefit you.

Robb

4. ajevenson

ajevenson Active Member

City, State:
      Calgary, AB
      '92 XLT
      did you grease the entire cable by disconnecting it at both ends and pulling it out? is there anything different about/around the cable housing that might be causing it to bind? when you pulled the end out of the speedo were the ends still crisp or were they slightly worn? it wont be your cluster, it'll be something to do with your cable. if you buy a new cable make sure that the new one comes with the square rubberized tips and not the wound cable as the end.

5. crivas13

crivas13 New Member

City, State:
      Dallas, Texas
      '94 Limited
      No, i didnt pull the whole cable out, wasnt really sure how to do that. I checked out the search and they seem to suggest that if it buzzes its the speedo head and if it was the cable gone bad, it would bounce at all speeds. I think im gonna get a speedo head on ebay and see if that fixes it if not try the cable. Is the cable easy to replace?

Carlos