Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Spindle, Upper Arm & Coilover

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by King$nake, July 31, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. King$nake

King$nake Active Member

City, State:
      Oceanside, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
      Currently, my 98 ex has stock upper and lower arms, 3" EDGE Spindle lift, and a 1.5" TT on 33"s,

What do you think of this: I think the most balanced option (between cost and function) would be to go with the Camburg 6.0 upper arms and spindle, and then run a 16" 2.0 coilover and have new upper mounts fab'd in. This way I can get rid of the torsion bars, and I think this should be the smoothest option as well since the truck spends time on the street.

Anybody running this setup? Any reason why this wouldn't be good?

The reason I don't want to run a single or dual shock setup is I want to get rid of the torsion bars. currently the torsion bar pads need to be replaced, and the rough ride from the TT is rattling my 150,000 mile explorer to death, but I don't want to go any lower on the front ride height. As far as I know I can run the coilovers and maintain/adjust the ride height while I having a smooth ride.

Last edited: July 31, 2011
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      I know some people have fit a 2.0 coilover in the stock upper arm on here, but I would think it would be REALLY tight because it's pretty tight with just a 2.0 shock on mine. Is the upper arm clearance the reason you want to switch to the camburg kit? If so, I think your money would be better spent on some BTF upper arms. The camburg spindles wouldn't really be worth it IMO because they still use the same little snout that the fabtech/stock spindles use.

And if you're using the stock lowers, you're going to want to add ribs and plate in the bottom of the arms.

And 16s are waaaaaay too long. Go with 8", or maybe 10" if you can fit them, but 8" would be fine.

4. shooterdude199

shooterdude199 Active Member

City, State:
      Irmo, South Carolina
      01 Sport Trac
      Yeah I've been told from guys at camburg that a 2.0 coilover will not fit at all between the control arm. Is definitely talk to brandon at btf cause it sounds like he's got his stuff together. I may grab a set myself if I find out they work with coilovers. But also 8" is plenty. 16 is like trophy truck rearend stuff lol