• Register Today It's free!

Sporty Driving in the Platinum

chicagoslick

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Over the last week I have put the EXP through many different driving conditions and was pleasantly surprised. I shouldn't be as the vehicle was made to do this, but anyway...

My wife and I went to look at some land and decided to drive down the small service road that was present. The road was mainly dirt covered with rolling hills and mud and ruts. My wife was a bit worried to drive down it as she is used to driving a truck and said that would be a better vehicle for this. But after the drive she changed her mind and said wow that's impressive...I forgot all about changing modes for terrain, even though there were no issues in Normal Mode. Next time I will play a little more.

Well yesterday I was going to try to change modes and see how it feels, and OMG can't believe how powerful the vehicle feels when in Sand Mode....I had read this in some of the posts, but never thought it would make that much of a difference...Was I wrong. She turns into a beast...

Question?

While in the other driving modes (not Normal Mode)does shifting the gear shift to SPORT make any difference? I tried it and did not notice any difference, but not sure if that is what is supposed to happen. Thanks in advance for any and all replies...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think in "Sport" mode the only difference is in when the transmission makes its shifts. In "spirited" driving and in "Sport" mode, it should hold the lower gears longer. That is how my Cadillac works. I haven't flogged my wife's Platinum as she would probably kill me :D On a separate note, I noticed that the paddle shifters will work in "D". I thought they only would work in "S".

Paddle shifters work in "D" but it goes back to auto mode in a few seconds, depending on how you are driving it. For example, if you downshift as you are going down a hill, it will hold it in that gear until you touch the throttle again. If you downshift to aid in acceleration, like for a pass, it will go back to auto as soon as you level off on the throttle. It actually works quite well and I use it a lot when going down a long grade or right before wanting to accelerate a little up a hill or for a pass so I don't have to give it so much throttle to command the downshift.

In S, it will stay in manual mode when you hit the paddle. I don't think it matters where the terrain setting is. Sand mode doesn't make any more power, it just makes the throttle a lot more sensitive. It has a much more aggressive tip in than normal mode. It will also put more % of power to the rear wheels at part throttle. Snow mode seems to do the opposite, it makes the throttle extremely desensitized.

The 3 terrain management modes, just disables traction control and distributes different amount of power between the front and rear wheels.
Our SUV is capable, only thing to be worried about is ground clearance.

It definitely changes throttle response. Take off from a dead stop with somewhere around half throttle on the pavement in different modes. You'll feel the difference. Snow mode feels horrible. It numbs throttle response to aid traction.

Paddle shifters work in "D" but it goes back to auto mode in a few seconds, depending on how you are driving it. For example, if you downshift as you are going down a hill, it will hold it in that gear until you touch the throttle again. If you downshift to aid in acceleration, like for a pass, it will go back to auto as soon as you level off on the throttle. It actually works quite well and I use it a lot when going down a long grade or right before wanting to accelerate a little up a hill or for a pass so I don't have to give it so much throttle to command the downshift.

In S, it will stay in manual mode when you hit the paddle. I don't think it matters where the terrain setting is. Sand mode doesn't make any more power, it just makes the throttle a lot more sensitive. It has a much more aggressive tip in than normal mode. It will also put more % of power to the rear wheels at part throttle. Snow mode seems to do the opposite, it makes the throttle extremely desensitized.

i'm curious if any of the tuners modify the torque management, etc in shift crispness... anyone know?

I haven't tuned mine YET, but yes they do.

Back