Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Spring Break: 2000 mile trip. What should I get checked out before hand?

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Pjibs, February 26, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Pjibs

Pjibs Active Member

City, State:
    Wittenberg University
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '03 Sport Trac XLT 4x4
    Hey guys!

Well senior year and before we head to the real world me and a couple of the fraternity brothers are heading to PCB then to St. Simons Island and then back to Ohio for spring break. My sport trac will be one of the cars making this grand journey and I want to get it checked out before the trip is made just for better piece of mind while on the road.

So here is what I was think the mechanic should check out

Brakes
    Belts and Hose
    Fluid levels
    Suspension
    Cruise Control

Sorry I don't know the official titles, but do you think I should have anything else looked at?

Thanks!
    J.B.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. colintrax

colintrax Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Georgia
    97 XLT and 91 Ranger
    Go ahead and change your oil, other than that. You'll be fine.
    Although I guess you have shops change your oil, so that's not even a big deal. It it's time to get it changed while you're on the trip just have whatever near by shop do it.

Honestly, you should make sure that stuff is working regardless of whether or not you have a trip coming up. And you should be able to check it. Use this forum to learn a little, it's not hard to check belts/hoses/suspension components and the other basic wear and tear parts.

4. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Dublin, GA
    '01 Sport Trac 4x4
    St Simons is my neck of the woods. Always our first choice for weekend getaways. Make sure to eat at Crab Daddy's (for grilled/broiled) and/or Crab Shack (for fried).

5. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    make sure to check your tires and make sure they are on the up and up. especially on a summer trip. do the requisite fluid changes, and make sure those are good to go. belts and filters and make sure you put together a good roadside emergency kit. if you have a CEL, dont go on that trip until its resolved. and of course, the most important part of any road trip, make sure youj put together the perfect roster of friends to go with. road trips can either be the most boring things in the world, or the best times of your life, and it all depends on who you roll with. soem of my best memories were road tripping from the bay area to LA, and then to vegas with my buds for 11 day benders. thats right, 11 days in vegas with nothing but money in my pocket and my buds to egg me on. have fun!