Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Spring or no spring on 102" whip?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by nmpfeiff, August 6, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    So I have made me 2 taillight mounts for my 3rd gen and I want to run dual 102" whips. The 2nd whip is just for looks on the right side and will not be hooked up. I got me one of the $1 studs from the truck stop that is used to mount a 2nd antenna just for looks.

I think the mounts are pretty sturdy but they may need a spring. I want both sides to be the same height so I don't want to put a spring on just one but I am not convinced on spending $30 ($15 a piece) on the springs from radio shack. I don't really mind spending the extra $20 for the 2nd whip but if I get the spring it would run me close to $40 which is a lot to spend on an antenna setup just on looks.

Has anyone had experience running a 102" without a spring? I am not really worried about reaching the full 108". I read somewhere that doesn't matter and the spring causes power loss. I am just worried about how much stress it will put on my bracket without one.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. yostyexplorer94

yostyexplorer94 Yost Offroad Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    South Central PA
    1994 Explorer
    Callsign:
    yosty
    I have a 64" steel whip on the bumper of my explorer. I don't use a spring on it since it flexes with no issues. I would think with a 102" whip and a spring the whip would be all over the place. That's just what I think would happen, so I wouldn't run a spring. Maybe someone who has run a 102" whip can chime in.

4. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    Yeah I have a 102" with a spring on my pickup and it bends all the way back to my tailgate and I had one on a hood mount on my explorer and it bent back over the sunroof. I was just kind of afraid when I hit a tree it wouldn't flex enough and rip my mount out.

I really liked my 102" on the hood and never had any trouble. The mount was held by one of the small bolts that was already under the hood. Performance sucked though because all my signal was going to the rear and the hood wasn't a ground plane because it's not metal. I just thought duals on the back would look pretty cool and work well. Everyone says hooking the 2nd one up would hurt so I'm not going to spend the extra money on the stud mount and coax for it.

5. stavko2000

stavko2000 New Member

City, State:
    Rowlesburg,WV
    '91 Eddie Bauer
    no spring

i have a 102" on the front bumper of my sploder and it does just fine. i tried a spring but the antenna was all over the place. i only had the spring on there from the top of my drive to the bottom, lol.

6. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    [​IMG]

Here's mine the way I run it stuffed down the snorkel LOL.

7. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    So I been looking today and the antenna flexes enough without the spring when it hits something. I think the spring is so heavy by itself that it will be what puts to much stress on the mount. I am just going to run it without a spring and not worry about it. I will use the one spring I have for one of the fiberglass antennas I have that breaks easy.

8. willindsay

willindsay Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    You don't need a spring I can bend mine all the way to the ground and my mount hardly flexes and the antenna is super tough I drive under trees all the time and under my carport and haven't hurt a thing.

9. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    Haha I bet that is a site trying to get that whip in the carport. I know people that won't pull them down when going under the drive thru's. Personally I do because I don't want to damage my antenna or tear something else up. I would be afraid they have a light or something up under there I will break and have to pay for. I know a guy that knocked a bunch of lights down at a low clearance gas station and had to pay like $200.

I am leaning toward not using a spring though. My standing wave is not right at my liking but I can live with it. With the spring I was getting close to 1:2 but with out it is 1:5 and constantly changing. I guess my antenna was swaying a little bit in the wind though.

I actually think the performance will be pretty good because it is leaning toward the center of the vehicle which will give me a better ground plane.

10. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
  11. willindsay

willindsay Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    To me it kinda looks odd. and I don't think they will work well tied together cause theres not enough space between them.

Is the picture in the album of how you mounted them? If so why did you make the mount that way doesn't it block all the light when going in reverse??

You could have mounted them on top of the tail light like most have done.

12. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    Actually it doesn't block the back up lights that much. The reason I put them there is the fact I didn't have to drill any holes so if I want to take them off I can put everything back stock. Plus it didn't take me over 5 min to make the mounts and install them. It was the most convenient place I could find without taking the taillight apart.