• Register Today It's free!

Squeak as I accelerate?

djembeing

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ranger Sport, 97 EX
Hi, I'm new here. I just got a 99 Ranger Sport, 153000 mi. 4 cyl 5 sp. 2wd. I started noticing a squeaking sound as I pull out from a stop, the sound increases in pitch as I get faster. When I level off speed wise it goes away, Also it happens if I'm going up a hill. Is this a clutch problem or something else?
I seem to hear the sound the most If I have the sliding back glass opened, as if its coming from under the truck where the bed meets the cab.

Any help? thanks

Dave

...I am just wondering if it might be a u-joint although, you would start feeling a clunk every once in a while..:scratch:

...Is this a persistent squeak during driving or is it a quick squeak as in possibly bushings???

How handy are you with tools???

Sounds like you may have a u-joint or joints failing...The squeak comes when a load is placed on the defective bearings or bearing cups in the joint.. When you level off the load is lessened and the noise stops or decreases..

If this is the original set of u-joints you may have to use heat to remove the cups...Hopefully the replacement joints will have zerk fittings for lubrication...

When the load levels off, the squeak goes away.

Back