• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking noise in engine

kchartier

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I replaced my 1998 exolorer 4.0 with a 5.0 and i get sqeeking noise that sounds like a belt. But i removed the belt and the noise kept happening. Here is the strange part.....if i remove the oil dip stick or take oil cap off, the noise goes away. Cover those holes back up and the noise comes back. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cam pos sensor I bet. You can take the cover off put a drop of oil down the center shaft and it will quiet down after a day.

You should also check the pcv valve but I have never heard of one "squeeking"

Cam synchronizer on the 5.0 will squeak/chirp like hell when it goes bad. My 2000 Mountaineer 5.0 starting doing this last fall/winter. I didn't feel like screwing with it then. Someone suggested I could try removing the sensor (2 tiny bolts) and put a small amount of ATF in the synchronizer, I did this (took me no more than 10 mins) and it hasn't made any noise since. Changing the synchrnizer isn't too bad of a job, but throwing a little oil in it was way easier (and cheaper).

Cam pos sensor I bet. You can take the cover off put a drop of oil down the center shaft and it will quiet down after a day.

You should also check the pcv valve but I have never heard of one "squeeking"
To eliminate the pcv, should i just remove it??

Cam synchronizer on the 5.0 will squeak/chirp like hell when it goes bad. My 2000 Mountaineer 5.0 starting doing this last fall/winter. I didn't feel like screwing with it then. Someone suggested I could try removing the sensor (2 tiny bolts) and put a small amount of ATF in the synchronizer, I did this (took me no more than 10 mins) and it hasn't made any noise since. Changing the synchrnizer isn't too bad of a job, but throwing a little oil in it was way easier (and cheaper).
Did it sound like a belt squealing or chirping?

Did it sound like a belt squealing or chirping?

Yep, just like a bird chirping. I first thought it was a pulley bearing, but after removing the serpentine belt the noise was still there. After oiling the cam synchronizer I've been expecting the noise to return pretty quickly, but I'd guess it's been at least 6,000-8,000 miles since I did it and it's still quite.

I put the ATF around the center part of the synchronizer, where I assumed the noise was coming from. I used an old dental rinsing syringe I had to apply the oil.

Yep, just like a bird chirping. I first thought it waIs a pulley bearing, but after removing the serpentine belt the noise was still there. After oiling the cam synchronizer I've been expecting the noise to return pretty quickly, but I'd guess it's been at least 6,000-8,000 miles since I did it and it's still quite.

I put the ATF around the center part of the synchronizer, where I assumed the noise was coming from. I used an old dental rinsing syringe I had to apply the oil.
It worked.....i put the atf on the. Top of. Cam sensor and it worked.....no more sqeeaking...thx

Back