Squeaking noise while driving/rough idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking noise while driving/rough idle

Pat22

Reaction score
City, State
Roswell, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer LTD
Hey guys I just joined the forum and wanted to ask about a few things:
1) While driving i can hear a squeaking noise coming from the underside of my car, sometimes i don't hear it at all but typically as i accelerate the noise's frequency goes up. I was wondering if maybe i just need to lube my X or if maybe some old belts need replacing, but i don't think that's the case being that the engine only has around 40k on it.
2) My X idles somewhat roughly, at a stop light it may shake a little and act like it is dying and it comes back to normal, it repeats the process until i start driving and then doesn't affect it. I have done some research and some people said it may need a new vacuum hose but i wanted to get a few more opinions.
3) Lastly, my windshield wiper fluid does not spray, the wipers will engage but no liquid will shoot out, it has been filled and is not empty, the rear wiper does not clean either. (I'm pretty sure the rear window can be sprayed with fluid but I'm not positive) Thanks
2002 Ford Explorer LTD
170xxx miles on body
40xxx miles on engine

the noise squeaking could be bearings or belt, does it squeak during idle?
rough idle coming to a stop could be a bad O2 sensor, it may be stuck on lean...do u have a rough idle when you start up too?
Have u checked your windshield washer fluid pump? if u cant hear it pumping at all, it could be electrical or the pump is bad...pull the connector off the pump and check for voltage

the noise squeaking could be bearings or belt, does it squeak during idle?
rough idle coming to a stop could be a bad O2 sensor, it may be stuck on lean...do u have a rough idle when you start up too?
Have u checked your windshield washer fluid pump? if u cant hear it pumping at all, it could be electrical or the pump is bad...pull the connector off the pump and check for voltage
It typically only squeaks when i go over a bump or drive the car.
The car idles roughly whenever it is not moving.
i have not checked the pump, thank you for the response.

Back