Squeaking / Squealing Brakes | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking / Squealing Brakes

I purchased a 2014 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor that had 98 miles on it in May of this year and now have approximately 1,800 miles and the brakes squeak when backing up and it's somewhat embarrassing...
Welcome to the community, GNX181!

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Please private message (PM) your full name, VIN, and best daytime phone number. I’ll look into available options to assist! :)

Tricia

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has there been a fix for this? Now I'm out of luck because it's been 12 months since I bought the car and the brake warrant is over. I took the car in before the warranty expired and my dealer only offered a temporary fix which helped for 2 weeks and then the squeal came back. I then took it to another dealer and they said cut rotors and new pads would help as the current ones were crystallized - the catch was that now I was out of warranty. If the first dealer would have offered this they could have performed the fix under warranty. (RAGE)

I would say no. We had all of the edges of the brake pads shaved off as per the dealers whim. It worked for several months maybe 10 months. It's back now. Just sucks.

As suggested I took my Ford Explorer Sport to a second dealership to properly diagnose my brake issues. They test drove it and IMMEDIATELY noticed the brake squeal. This info I took to the regional manager and he worked with the dealer to resolve my issue. The best I could do was cut the cost of replacing front brakes 50/50. I though it was fair as my explorer had over 24,000 miles of wear on the pads. I should of took it to this dealer long ago and maybe I could of had the brakes replaced under warranty. Thank you Ford for finally fixing my issue.

I've had my calipers ruin many brake pads and routers in my 2011 Ford Explorer. I've had so many now that I can return my car before the part warranty wears out and have it all replaced again. I figured out that they can measure the heat of the wheel to see if it is sticking. They keep replacing it with the same part and the same problem continues I was lucky to buy an extended warranty, but I've still had to pay deductibles. My latest visit today the service department paid for the replacement in full because the last one wore out close to warranty. Smoking breaks, squealing sounds from my car, ruined brake pads and routers, less efficiency overall in my vehicle, visits to the service department which lower my value on carfax, yep it's time to build my case. Time to contact that lawyer who took on Honda for me.

Can you make the sound happen regularly, schneid32? If so, you might want to take your tech on a test drive so you can demonstrate it for them. Come back and tell us what the dealership finds in the morning.

Crystal

Hello - sorry it's been a while since I've provided an update on this. Just been dealing with the brake issues. I'll have to check my records, but I'm quite sure I've had the truck at the dealer 3-4 times for brake related issues with mileage at 34k. Think I'm just going to replace the brake components independent of the dealer as I cannot seem to get what I want done. Kind of stinks but what are you going to do right?

Hello - sorry it's been a while since I've provided an update on this. Just been dealing with the brake issues. I'll have to check my records, but I'm quite sure I've had the truck at the dealer 3-4 times for brake related issues with mileage at 34k. Think I'm just going to replace the brake components independent of the dealer as I cannot seem to get what I want done. Kind of stinks but what are you going to do right?
Please add the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc.) of the Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

is it usually the caliper piston sticking, the piston pins in the caliper brackets, or rust build up under the pad shims/retainers? The only thing that cant be avoided is the piston seizing unless the piston boot is torn. For rust under the shims you can have the new brackets painted and apply anti-seize under and above the shims, can try a sand blaster or wire brush I guess also instead of buying new.
89455G06L.jpg

I would want a noise like this resolved as well with only 5,000 miles. Have you had a chance to take it to your dealer yet? If you’d like help with having this looked into, please feel free to send me a message. Don’t forget to include your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can help!

Cory
Hi Cory, I have a 2014 Ford Explorer with not even 4800 miles on it and the brakes are squealing after I drive 3 miles. When I brake it stops. I see that there is a tsb on this. Is there any way you can call the dealership Hoffman ford in Harrisburg PA and let them know what to do about the problem. I don't have time to take it back 10 times to get it fixed. I really just want to sell it and never own a Ford again. Mostly because this dealership is not good with their service center. Every single time I take my car there there is a problem. I just called and made an appointment for Friday and specifically explained the problem to the person who took my call. First of all I told him I would drop my car off at 10:00 and he has it down for 8:!5 which is incorrect. Then I told him that when I drive approx 3 miles the brakes make a high pitched squealing noise while I am driving then when I stop if I put my car in park and let it rest for a little I can go a few miles with no squealing but then it starts again. Then when I brake it stops. He wrote down that I told him that the brakes squeal when I brake which is not true so if they go to test it they will say my brakes don't squeal because they are not driving it the 3 miles to see. It does not squeal when I brake. Today I didn't even drive a mile and they started squealing while I'm driving. I am hoping you can help me. I do not think that I should have to pay for this problem to be fixed since it is a problem with this vehicle from the factory. The last time I went into my appointment they said I didn't have an qppointment. The time before that they didn't start working on my car tll the time I said I wanted to pick it up and my low tire pressure light went on two weeks after I had it there and all of my tires were low on air one down to 25. I thought that when I asked for a tire rotation, oil change and inspection that surely my tires would be checked for air. Now my low tire light is on again and I scheduled the same services and told him specifically to write down that I need air in my tires and it is not on my order Two times they did not call me to let me know my car was ready. Please let me know if there is anything I can do about this problem. Thanks!!!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Cory hasn't been here for a few years and there are no longer any Ford reps on this site. Did the dealer ever check the brake pads? Sometimes brakes will squeal automatically if the pads are worn beyond a certain point and the squeal disappears when the brakes are applied. Now that you have the low pressure light showing, have you checked that tire pressures? It could be as simple as one tire needing air which you should be able to look after yourself.
Unless there are no other dealers around, I'm surprised that you haven't switch to another one. If you are no longer under warranty I'm quite sure you will be out of luck getting the brakes covered should it be anything other than worn pads. Here is the contact info FordService left on their posts. Good luck.

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Peter

Hi Cory, I have a 2014 Ford Explorer with not even 4800 miles on it and the brakes are squealing after I drive 3 miles...

If you're unable to patronize a different dealer, keep ragging on this one and say if they don't get it fixed this time, that your expectation is that they call the hotline AND open up a case in "Dealer360." Tell them your expectation is that they send a Field Service Engineer to look at the vehicle. Unfortunately, in current experience, it takes an act of a higher power for Ford Corporate to send out an engineer, but it can be done after jumping some hoops.

Good luck.

Also.... how the heck do you have a 2014 with that little mileage?!?!?!

I had mine in the shop numerous times for the squealing brakes. They would always have some excuse as to why. I finally solved the issue myself. I traded it in on a 2017 F150. No more squealing brakes

I would want a noise like this resolved as well with only 5,000 miles. Have you had a chance to take it to your dealer yet? If you’d like help with having this looked into, please feel free to send me a message. Don’t forget to include your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can help!

Cory
Hey Cory, we have three of these in our fleet all doing same thing called local ford dealer no help replace oe pads and rotors lubed slides no help been driving me crazy for 6 months and I see from the post FORD has a problem with this just like the clicking out of rear it's the brake rattle clips they are not made right letting pad shift when you go from reverse to drive and back to reverse and we still have the noise from the front

PLEASE ADVISE ON THIS SINCE ITS A FORD PROBLEM

I had mine in the shop numerous times for the squealing brakes. They would always have some excuse as to why. I finally solved the issue myself. I traded it in on a 2017 F150. No more squealing brakes
Good answer

Hey Cory, we have three of these in our fleet all doing same thing called local ford dealer no help replace oe pads and rotors lubed slides no help been driving me crazy for 6 months and I see from the post FORD has a problem with this just like the clicking out of rear it's the brake rattle clips they are not made right letting pad shift when you go from reverse to drive and back to reverse and we still have the noise from the front

I deal with the Engineers on the Police team regularly. You need to find out who is your Government Sales Rep and email them immediately asking for Engineering to look at the issue. The Government Sales Rep can be found on the Ford PIU website if your Purchasing people dont know who it is.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, Cory and other Ford reps were pulled from all forums years ago.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, Cory and other Ford reps were pulled from all forums years ago.

Peter
Thanks Peter I learned that right after I posted just like ford closed it teck support for dealers

I deal with the Engineers on the Police team regularly. You need to find out who is your Government Sales Rep and email them immediately asking for Engineering to look at the issue. The Government Sales Rep can be found on the Ford PIU website if your Purchasing people dont know who it is.

We contacted our dealer that the cars were purchased from to get a hold of government sales rep they said no one else is complaining about it so they are going to do nothing I disagree google it and it blows up on line no one has a fix for it

We contacted our dealer that the cars were purchased from to get a hold of government sales rep they said no one else is complaining about it so they are going to do nothing I disagree google it and it blows up on line no one has a fix for it
Dealers are the weak link and always try and avoid involving Engineering in Dearborn......bypass them and go directly to the GAM (Government Account Manager.) They HAVE TO pass it on to Engineering.

Same issues with my ST, after 12,000miles the rotors were grinding and dealer said brakes aren't part of the warranty they are wearable maintenance items. My response was yes they are if there isnt 85% of the pad left and the rotors are not damaged at all. They refused to fix so I went and bought new rotors and pads myself.

I finally got Engineering to admit that during the Supplier Issues the CAP had a Tier 1 brake supplier (Rassini in Mexico) issue with parts so they had to source pads and rotors elsewhere. Hence the poor quality for my build date.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sent you a PM with your reps contact info.

Back