Squeaking when turning after just starting up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking when turning after just starting up.

Inverhyt

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon City, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB v8 5l
Alrighty, here's the lay down.

I just replaced the front wheel bearings, but still nothing different about the squeaking. I suppose I should have been smarter about it, since it has just come to my attention that the noise is not supposed to happen when going over speed bumps too.

Mechanic says it's the front differential. He had told me "it's too expensive to repair it and it would be less expensive and hard to replace it."

I don't know much else.

The squeaking when turning goes away after the car warms up and moves around after sitting for a bit, but going over speed bumps the squeak still remains.

Any idea what it could be and any diagnostic steps I could take?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sound like it might be ball joints to me. It might also be worn sway bar bushings.

As another note, I can't get it to make the sound by rocking the car. It sounds like a metal on metal squeak, but it's not shrill.

I'll take a look at my soonest opportunity with some grease.

I should have asked, is the squeak a rotational sound, or does it come more from up/down tire movement?

I should have asked, is the squeak a rotational sound, or does it come more from up/down tire movement?
Rotational. It only happens when moving. When going over bumps it sounds like an spring that's creaking, but turning sounds like a whale. Could be two different problems causing a symphony of catastrophe?

Why would the mechanic say the diff is what's the problem? Could that be a third issue and the ball joints weren't an issue, they're just squeaky?

Yeah I'd grease the ball joints, take a spray bottle of strong detergent solution and spray around (into) the sway bar bushing (not both at same time or else you haven't eliminated one or the other) and if that doesn't tell you, pull the wheel and poke/pry/wiggle everything. I can only assume that your brakes are in good order since you just did the bearings, no caliper bracket pad binding, caliper pins are greased, pads aren't shot.

Isn't there a dust shield on the CV that could make noise? May have been certain years

I was looking at another forum and it said lower ball joints and sway bar bushings could be the issue. I'll get some grease into the locations you mentioned when I have the time. I'm out of state in my Subaru at the moment, my Ford is sitting at home relegated to the low mpg club with my Ram.

I was looking at another forum and it said lower ball joints and sway bar bushings could be the issue. I'll get some grease into the locations you mentioned when I have the time. I'm out of state in my Subaru at the moment, my Ford is sitting at home relegated to the low mpg club with my Ram.

Yes, I said this in post #2.

Back