Stang wheels

RFR2212

Typing Police
Reaction score
City, State
In the mug by Chitown
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 JEEP Wrangler
Now, I could be way off on this, and not fully sure if this issue has been discussed...
I know alot of people use I believe the Corba R's that are fer the 79and up stangs.... aka, they fit all of em, they come in 4 and 5 bolt patterns....
When looking in the stang section in Summit, they sell Ford Racing Perf. Parts, and have those fer about 220 a wheel in silver.

They also sell the 98 Cobra SVT and 99 Cobra rim, 17x8in at 125 per rim.
Why aint anyone running these? Or, am I completely having a brain fart and they wont work on sploders? Just thought I'd throw this out cause people like the stang rims :)

Oh, summit part numbers...
98 Cobra SVT: FMS-M-1007-D178
1999 Cobra: FMS-M-1007-F178
they list back spacing etc, price so if ya don't believe me :p
Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as the backspace wont cause an interference problem, they will work fine. I have seen a set of Bullitt wheels on an Explorer and I believe they have a similar backspace to the 98 Cobra wheels. You'd just have to take some measurements and make sure they will clear everything.

i think the "old style" Cobra R's (17x9) are so popular because they look really good on an X. not that the 98 or 99's wouldnt look good, i think they do. give it some time, we all will get tired of having the same wheels and slowly will look into gettin' something else.;)

Originally posted by james t
give it some time, we all will get tired of having the same wheels and slowly will look into gettin' something else.;)

Haha, true! Well, finally got some response, maybe we'll get some more... I only brought this up, cause I think those are some nice rims as well. I know alot of people like that similar style, but for the price of them, they're nearly unbeatable!
Pete

i just got my X about a year ago... i had this bright idea. NO ONE in my town (pop. 80,000) had a modified X. not in any way. not even aftermarket wheels. i had a friend with a 96 Cobra with aftermarket Cobra R's (17x9). when i got the X i thought it would be so cool to put those on an X and lower it a little. so the day after i got it we took his wheels off and put 'em on my X to see if they would fit. i was thinkin "a taller tire and about a 2-3" drop and this is gonna be sweet... ordered the R's and lowered it and i loved it. then one day while doing a search, i found this site. 8000 people with X's on Cobra R's. damn, what have i done! if i would have known i would have gone with something a little different. ah, screw it. i really like 'em, and people around here look at it like its never been done before. i have had more than one person ask me if my X is some kind of SVT/Lightning/SVO limited edition... they just dont have a clue. :D

... and just to let you know how badly my area is stuck in 1987, there are more 2wd Chevy/Ford/Dodge trucks around here with 15x10's and 295/50's all the way around than you can shake a stick at. man, that crap went out when i was in high school! lol. if you have a lowered vehicle with 17"-22" wheels, you are looked at like an alien...

It's true that a lot of people on this site have the Cobra R rims however I have yet to actually see another one on the road out here in Soutern California and I drive over 200 miles a day. I guess this makes me feel a little better about buying a set of those rims.

gefracing.com has the 95 style cobra wheels for $139.95. Thats where I'll be getting mine from next month

Do those Cobra R's fit aon a 91-94 Explorer. I've been away from the sitefr a while since I got a 2002 Silverado, but I wanna get back into fixing up the X for my little bro. Anyone thats interested. Here are some pics of my Silvy.
Dead Link Removed
Evan

if its 4X4 the hubs wont fit through unless you cut the wheels out

The 17 X 8 "SVT" 5 spoke Cobra R look a likes (D-178's or "1998 Cobra wheel")will not fit 96 and up 2WD's. I know for sure because I bought one to test it out. In front, the wheel hub is not thick enough, and you would have to pop off the "SVT" center caps and let the wheel bearing dust caps poke thru.

This goes back to what everybody wasy saying above - when I tried to find out if it would work, it was like uncharted territory, no one knew. So I bought one to try it out.

If anyone wants to buy one 17 X * SVT wheel............

I have chrome 95 cobra "R"s on my truck right now.
I also have a set of 01 cobra 17x8 rims like stated above i just bought for my 84 mustang. Now only if i could find my wheel lock key i would try them :( ... its MIA right now

Check what the back spacing is on the 18x9.5" rims. My 17x9's rubbed my front a-arms at full lock! I had to go in and do a little grinding and then use a 3/8 front spacer.

Also watch the rear tires... right now I have 275/55/17 and thats the limit on the rear without a spacer. I had to beat the inner fender in with a hammer cause I had bad rubbing-

I looked into the tire issue before planning on this. You can maintain the same spin on your wheels if you wrap the rims in 255/55/18's, and as you said the only thing you have to take into consideration is the backspacing.

pur pony... you had rubbing in the rear? I thought all you had to do was tie back the parking brake cables on the drivers side. What exactly is the a-arm? is it the piece triangle shaped piece above the drive shaft or the triangle shaped piece below the drive shaft? I was looking at it today and the triangle shaped piece on top is only about 1.5" away from the tire. Now if I am thinking correctly, adding 2" to the rim width and increasing the back spacing will run the tire right into that. Is that right or am I way off?

98FordX24-
The a-arm I am talking about is the triangle piece on the bottom in the front. There is an upper and lower. With my 17x9 rim and 275/55/17 tire I have about a 1" gap between my tire and upper a-arm. When I turned my wheel fulley from side to side the inner ring on my rim would rub the lower a-arm. I solved this by a little grinding to the lower a-arm and then I made a 3/8 aluminum spacer at work-

For the rear is did have lots of rubbing when going over bumps. Again... using a big old hammer you can pound the inner fender skirt in and gain all the clearence you need. worked great and you really dont hurt anything, and cant see it either. I did also have to wire tie the brake cable back-

later

do you have any trouble with the spacers? do you get vibration?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i ground the lip off the a-arm just like pur-pony and didnt use any wheel spacers. its close, and i ground off alot. even though the 18's are 9.5 (extra half inch of width) they are an inch taller inside the wheel lip and should not rub lower a arm as bad as 17x9 R's do. and FYI, i had my rear wheels off today to do a brake job and noticed that my tire (275/50/17) has been rubbing the inside of my rear fender well. didnt even know it was happening. just fixed it with a big shop hammer.:hammer:

Back