Starkman's 1998 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starkman's 1998 Sport

I'm an "Elite" so here is my first entry.

I've been building a Ranger but like all projects they seem to take longer than planned. So the ice racing season is approaching and I want to race and I've taken my daily driver Explorer to a point where it is better off road than on the ice. So, I bought this little '98 Sport. It's got a 4.0 OHV with a 5 speed so I think it will work pretty good on the ice.

link to my 2000 Eddie Bauer
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/starkmans-explorer-build-thread.391609/

link to Ranger
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/starkmans-rally-ranger.447883/

I was busy today
It took a little hit to the grill and the headlights were knocked out and some of the clips and brackets are broke. So I disassembled and replace broken parts and also added the front bumper and lower valence with the one from my V8 donor car Mountaineer and its lighter and better looking. Installed the wheels I have for ice racing, they are 15x8 with 31/10.50-15 Firestone Winterforce studded tires.

Here it is
Sport%201-M.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removed the running boards and sort of fixed the passenger door handle. Looked at the diff tag and it has 4:10s with a limited slip.

Took some slightly better pics.

Sport%202-M.jpg

Sport%203-M.jpg

Got something cool! $271 through Summit, free shipping too...
image1-M.jpg

So, today I had a new windshield installed. The old one was so bad that when another car's headlights would shine on it the glare would make it impossible to see through. The tech told me it was the original windshield. Crazy, 19 years old...

And today another cool thing. Tomorrow will install shocks and brakes.
shocks-M.jpg

Installed shocks and rotors. The e-brake shoes fell apart when I pulled off the rear rotors some ran to the parts store and installed them. Interesting thing is not only was the windshield original it appears that the shocks were too. They have a red spray paint dot on them and are "Motorcraft" with Ford part numbers. 175,000 mile shocks, they still have gas pressure in them.

sport%2010-M.jpg

Took it up in the canyons for a test. I'm really liking this Sport.

sport%206-M.jpg

sport%208-M.jpg

Finally got the Sport out on the ice today. It works very well! Came in second behind a Evo 8. He has many race wins under his belt so I'm very happy.
sport%2016-M.jpg

sport%2017-M.jpg

Here it is resting
Sport%2021-M.jpg

Both my girls in the early morning light
IMG_0879-M.jpg

This one is now on my trailer at my house gonna be a live again. :)

Back