Starkman's Rally Ranger now B5000 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starkman's Rally Ranger now B5000

I've been dreaming about this project for a long time. The spark started when I took my Explorer ice racing. I entered my Explorer in a class that was mostly, well all all-wheel drive cars. A few WRX a Mistubishi Evo 8, and a very fast Audi RS4. I had fun but the Ex is no all-wheel drive car. So one day I was reading this forum about the V8 Explorer all-wheel drive transfer case and the author stated the power split was 65-35. I had just read an artical about the new Focus RS and how it can shift the power to the same ratio to make it able to slide and handle more like a rear drive car with power oversteer. Well? What if a find a short bed, regular cab Ranger (just so happens that Ranger setup has the same wheel base as the 4 door V8 Explorer) then find a donor Explorer and swap the V8 and all-wheel transfercase and throw in some better gears in the diffs, lower the suspension, add some bigger tires and wheels (I'm a big fan of the LOORRS truck racing) and see what happens. Note that I already have built a vehcile for off road, so this is not going to be an off road truck. It will be a truck I can race on the ice, run fast on dirt roads and when it snows here in Colorado I can run the same roads I do on my sportbike but have a blast power sliding and general hooliganism.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gave it a bath. Love this angle...
mazda5-M.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Is there a benefit to the oversize tires on the ice, besides coming in wider options for the rears?

I just like the staggered look for the street. They won't work very well on smooth ice. If there is snow or ruff ice then yes. The tires I'll be running in the ice are Goodyear terra tires with studs inserted. The Explorer below ran them a few years ago. I will be testing as soon as the snow flies and report.
12066063_946421132095725_7050100193628367619_n-M.jpg

Well off it goes.I know my limitations. To get the V8 installed! There's a guy named Jamie that was once a moderator on this site that has done quite a few swaps, I contacted him and he is doing the swap.
IMG_1016-M.jpg

Donar engine out!
IMG_1034-M.jpg

Engine in!
IMG_1036-M.jpg

That was fast ;)

Its alive!
IMG_1044-M.jpg

This thing really scoots!

Picked up some emblems to add to the tailgate, something you don't see together too often.
IMG_0482-M.jpg

Did a few things recently,

Purchased a SCT programmer with custom tune from LaSota Racing. Did some UN-scientific testing and gained .6 seconds in the quarter and about the same 0 to 60 MPH. If you do a search for drag racing calculators and enter the increase in MPH it gives about 12 HP gain. The most noticeable improvement is during spirited driving, it is much more responsive and just seems to run "right". Before it always felt doggy in the mid-range.

It is still TOO slow and I'm accumulating parts to fix that!

Got a set of new wheels and Michelin X-Ice tires for ice racing. The wheels are Jegs 15x10s with 5.5" backspacing, or 0 offset. The tires are 265/70-15s. There is a big problem as the wheel itself hits the lower control arm at full lock. I ordered some 1" spacers to help. I'll post when I install. Should have got wheels with 4.5" backspacing but it is unavailable in this model wheel.

Here are a few pics
44998BE5-4D24-4743-BADA-3B517C3089DB-M.jpg

4D35C378-DA20-47AC-872D-A5F130A2FD4B-M.jpg

I love this truck!!
Did you ever get some headers?

I have a set of Ford headers, I was amazed at how poor the flanges were as far as the edges left after welding. I ground them down to get the most flow. But haven't installed them. The OBX long tubes are calling my name. I think that's why I didn't get that done.

Hard to see but here are the pics of the edges I ported out.
4AE5AF1B-D2EA-40DE-AEFF-304170C45599-L.jpg

515BAEB4-5F76-4890-8B8A-C00B89669BC0-L.jpg

Here are some more
FBD14DC0-53ED-4A30-957D-9DC5AC1F42F0-L.jpg

0634F38D-B573-45C9-93A2-162226CA9892-L.jpg

With the SCT tuner you NEED to ditch the factory manifolds, you spent big $$$$ to get 12 RWHP with a tune
With the headers it could be more like 40 hp!!! At altitude every bit of air you can pump through that sucker will really help.
The factory manifolds are so restrictive! You know this!!
The work you did on those manifolds = huge improvement over the stock logs even without the OBX

Back