Starter not fully engaging when cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter not fully engaging when cold

Axemonkey

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Exploder XLT
I put a brand new Bosch starter in my 93 Exploder about 5 months ago.. right out of the box, not a rebuild. Now this may be just conincidence.. but right around the same time as a recent cold snap we had, my starter started doing some weird things. First thing in the morning when it was cold, it would start to turn over, then the starter would disengage, but still spin (you could hear the motor running, just not cranking over).. sometimes on first start, it just spins and doesn't turn over at all. Second key turn it fires right up no problem. I have checked and cleaned all 3 leads.. everything there seems fine. Anybody have any suggestions?:confused:

Edit: I have also checked the battery terminals and connections. Almost brand new battery and the connectors are spotless and tight as a drum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check your battery cables for corrosion.

though unlikely, check the solenoid on the firewall and on the starter. I have seen them freeze.

you checked all the stuff I would have recommended.

It's cold, and ur driving a ford. They aren't exactly designed to be used in freezing conditions like volkswagons for instance. It's not uncommon for it to have trouble starting. Many cars do in the winter. Just make sure you let her warm up before you drive it.

though unlikely, check the solenoid on the firewall and on the starter. I have seen them freeze.

you checked all the stuff I would have recommended.

It's cold, and ur driving a ford. They aren't exactly designed to be used in freezing conditions like volkswagons for instance. It's not uncommon for it to have trouble starting. Many cars do in the winter. Just make sure you let her warm up before you drive it.

That's sorta what I've been thinking.. I haven't actually cleaned the wires at the battery connections.. I think today I'll take the connectors off and give the wires a good brushing just to make sure theyre getting agood connection.. theyre not corroded but it won't hurt. I also did look at the solenoid a couple days ago... on visual inspection it appears to be fine and all the connections are clean and tight..

Thanks for your help!

it sounds like the bendix on the starter sticking with cold thick grease or missing teeth on the ring gear on the flywheel.
i've changed the ring gear on my bronco ll's 2.9, it's not difficult.

it sounds like the bendix on the starter sticking with cold thick grease or missing teeth on the ring gear on the flywheel.
i've changed the ring gear on my bronco ll's 2.9, it's not difficult.

I'm not much of a mechanic.. I learn as I go.. but I had flywheel trouble once in the past and it made some really god awful noises because of missing teeth.. or is the ring gear different altogether?

the ring gear is a press fitted gear on the flywheel.
ford sells just the ring gear, i think mine was under $100.
i hammered off the old one and cleaned up the seat then put the flywheel in the deep freeze for several hours. i then put the ring gear in the oven at about 300f degrees, when it got up to temp i pulled the flywheel out of the freezer and laid a bead of loctite around it and used my welding gloves to handle the ring gear. it dropped right on with no effort. i tapped it lightly with a small hammer to ensure the loctite was evenly spread. within 2 minutes it was cool enough that there is no way no how it was coming off without force. it has been on there for about 5 years with no troubles.
don't use a torch to heat something like that 'cause you need even heat or you could warp it.
i use this same method for inserting bearing races into rotors and new wheel studs into axles.
hot and cold can be our friends.

the ring gear is a press fitted gear on the flywheel.
ford sells just the ring gear, i think mine was under $100.
i hammered off the old one and cleaned up the seat then put the flywheel in the deep freeze for several hours. i then put the ring gear in the oven at about 300f degrees, when it got up to temp i pulled the flywheel out of the freezer and laid a bead of loctite around it and used my welding gloves to handle the ring gear. it dropped right on with no effort. i tapped it lightly with a small hammer to ensure the loctite was evenly spread. within 2 minutes it was cool enough that there is no way no how it was coming off without force. it has been on there for about 5 years with no troubles.
don't use a torch to heat something like that 'cause you need even heat or you could warp it.
i use this same method for inserting bearing races into rotors and new wheel studs into axles.
hot and cold can be our friends.

Thanks for your help.. I'll keep it all in mind! I think most likely at this point is either dirty battery wires or cold thick grease in the starter.. there definitely seems to be some connection with the cold.. it has never happened after I have started the truck for the first time that day.. only after sitting overnight.

BTW, you're looking for more than just dirty cables. These things corrode from the inside out. When you pull the cables off at the battery, take a good look at the inner portion of the cable itself. It is quite likely that at least one of them is corroded inside, the only fix is to replace.

Mike

BTW, you're looking for more than just dirty cables. These things corrode from the inside out. When you pull the cables off at the battery, take a good look at the inner portion of the cable itself. It is quite likely that at least one of them is corroded inside, the only fix is to replace.

Mike

Thanks Mike... I will have a good look at them!!

Back