Starter Problems...please help fellas!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter Problems...please help fellas!!!

Sugardaddy03

Reaction score
City, State
Madison Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hello im new to this site and ive come to try and get some answers before i start spending anymore cash. I have a 2003 Explorer Sport XLT and about a week ago the truck broke down..at first it would just click once when i turned the key and then it would do the same while being jumpstarted. It had power lights and everything worked nut after awhile of trying to start it it would just keep clicking and then it almost sounded like grinding wheni turned the key. When i went under thebcar i noticed oil where the starter connectsbto the transmission and also all around the connection between the transmission and the engine block. I had the starter replaced and everything worked for about three days. Now just today i wemt to go start the car its doing the same winding sound it was doing before. Does anyone have any clue as to what the issue could be? The starter fuse looks to be ok and im not too sure if the relay is shot. Im alittle frustrated to say the least because ive already spent almost 500 dollars between tows and labor and parts. Wondering if i could get any advice as to what the issue could be. Thanks for your time guys.

If the starter is new, and good, and spinning, and not turning the engine, you need to look for broken teeth on the flywheel.

If the starter is new, and good, and spinning, and not turning the engine, you need to look for broken teeth on the flywheel.

+1 to the above, and if the starter is NOT spinning but just clicking then you have a power problem. Disconnect the battery and remove and clean the cables from starter and at the battery. Make sure you have a fully charged battery as well. If the battery has less than 9.6volts the starter will either click once or click repeatedly when the key is held in the start position.

Reminder: disconnect the battery if you're gonna clean wires and terminals!

Let us know if you have any way to verify your battery has a full charge. Headlights coming on and accessories working do NOT indicate a fully charged battery. Checking with a voltmeter would be grand if you can.

Back