Starter removal 98 4x4 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter removal 98 4x4 explorer

blueford truck

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a 98 4x4 explorer and all I need to know is how the hell do get the top mounting bolt off!!!! I cant swing a wrench under the truck cuz the front drive shaft it in the way and I cant get to it from the top either cuz everything is in the way!!!! I can get every other bolt and wire off except that top mounting bolt.

Please help me I need to get this done by tomorrow!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a how to vid in the link in my sig but its on a v8awd

use various extensions and enter from behind the front wheel

It is tight but from behind the wheel you can get about three clicks on the ratchet. Slow process but it will come out. An air ratchet and flex shaft will get it from the top.

I had to change the starter in my '98 Ranger 4x4. The problem was that the front differential it too close to the oilpan for the starter to fit through on its way out. I finally figured out that the axle off the differential has a bolt holding it near the passenger side wheel. You take it out and the cv joints let it drop down to the torsion bar. That lowers the differential just enough for the flange where the starter bolts to the bell housing to fit through a notch in the oilpan.
--That top bolt is just a bugger to reach. I got on it with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with an extension and had enough space to turn it three clicks at a time.
--I had a few false starts trying things that didn't work, so here is what I figured out for a procedure: You will need a 1/4 inch drive socket set with extensions and a ratchet handle, and probably a 3/8 drive ratchet or breaker bar to break the bolts loose, the wrench to fit your battery cables, and whatever you use to lift the vehicle for an oil change.
1. Safely raise the vehicle so you can work under it. (Ramps or jackstands work. The differential bolts to the frame so it won't help to let the wheels hang down.)
2. Disconnect the ground cable on the battery.
3. Consider degreasing or pressure washing the bottom of the engine. (That might be your first step.)
4. Near the passenger side wheel find the bolt that holds that end of the axle to the frame. Remove it and pull the axle down to the torsion bar.
5. Pray for a miracle of supernatural patience. Consider warning the neighbors that you may sound very angry soon.
6. Feel the top bolt of the starter and remove it. You can't see it so you need to use the braille system. Use the socket, extensions and whatever anger management methods you find effective.
7. Remove the bottom bolt.
8. With the starter loose you should see that it hits against the oilpan. Find the notch in the oilpan and position the starter where you can remove the screws holding the battery cable and wire. The starter should just sneak through.
Follow the steps in reverse to replace the starter.

As Dakota described, if you have that 4X4 configuration, you won't be able to get the starter out of the space between the front differential and the oil pan, so you might as well address that first and buy yourself some extra room to work. There are two bolts (one on each side, not just one on the passenger side) that will let the whole differential flex downward and give you just enough room. Simple to do. Don't bother pulling the front driveshaft, as that doesn't help anyway.

I found the easiest way to get to the upper starter bolt was a 3/8" flex head ratchet, a flex socket or wobble extension, and about 6" of extension -- just enough to get the ratchet handle to the back of the starter, and just a bit to the side. That way, there is enough room to swing the handle pretty easily. Some mention going through the wheel well, but that seems a lot harder to me. A lot of people mention using long extensions and reaching over from above and in front of the cross member. That is a very unwieldy combination, and at least on my configuration I couldn't find any path through that way. Lowering the diff only takes ten minutes and then you can reach it fairly easily. Leave the lower bolt in place until you get the top one out because it relieves the pressure on the upper bolt from the starter hanging on it.

Back