Starting help for new user/inexperienced mechanic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting help for new user/inexperienced mechanic

Personacyde

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, first post.

I love my Ford, always been a soldier for me. Bought it from a buddy, always a soldier for him.

I'm having problems after two shop visits, and I am done with shops. Spent waaaay too much money, to get some resolved issues, and some new ones. Lets go over why I am here.

No click during start. I use a screwdriver to jump it.

I replaced the starter last year sometime. Had a good ol boy neighbor help me, truck worked great, I didn't replace solenoid at the time, against suggestion, because it was functioning just fine. Still bought it, with intention to replace when needed.

Took to shop for a shifting problem. 5 speed manual. (4 speed with overdrive, if you wanna be that way.) 750 miles down road, family trip, truck into a new shop, to fix what first mechanic broke. 3 days late back to work, i took truck with what was apparently a bad solenoid. They had one laying around, said that one didn't work either. I had a brand new one, I replaced it just now. Same problem.

It's not the solenoid. How do I test that, how do I fix that?

After so many people touched my truck, Im not sure if it was done correctly. Clutch was replaced, transmission dropped. Could they have messed up my wiring to starter during this? I can fix that if so.

Help get me going, please. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Starter solenoid is pretty basic part, should be able to find a new just about any auto part store.

The small wire going to the starter solenoid on the fender must have 12v when the ignition is turned to "start", this engages the solenoid and then the starter, if no "12v" at the small wire check for a broken wire or bad connectiions, sometimes all the plugs need are to be removed and put back on a couple time to re-secure the connection and remove the corrosion.

The small wire going to the starter solenoid on the fender must have 12v when the ignition is turned to "start", this engages the solenoid and then the starter, if no "12v" at the small wire check for a broken wire or bad connectiions, sometimes all the plugs need are to be removed and put back on a couple time to re-secure the connection and remove the corrosion.

Thank you Black sport. I will start there, testing the starter wire. I am hopeful that will be the solution, will keep topic updated as I go through the troubleshooting.

As a note, this is the 2nd new solenoid put on in last four days, why I said not the solenoid in the original write up.

@Personacyde

Clutch was replaced, transmission dropped.

How's the wiring connection to the clutch safety switch, under the dashboard?

How's the overall condition of the clutch safety switch?

A few years ago on my 98 w/ Manual Trans, I had to remove the safety switch, open it up, and clean up the copper connections on the inside.

Old School Tip

Turn on your headlights and stand in front of your Ex.

Have someone press in the clutch pedal and turn the ignition key.

OK - so If the headlights dim, you have power going all the way down to your starter motor.

If the headlights do not dim, there's a "break" somewhere in the starting system - you are not sending power all the way down to the starter motor.

Hope that helps -

@Personacyde

How's the wiring connection to the clutch safety switch, under the dashboard?

How's the overall condition of the clutch safety switch?

A few years ago on my 98 w/ Manual Trans, I had to remove and clean up the copper connections of the clutch safety switch.

There was a stationary part that needed cleaning that came in contact with a little copper wheel that was fastened on in such a way that allowed it to rotate 360 degrees, both needed cleaning up and it was off to the races...

Old School Tip

Turn on your headlights and stand in front of your Ex.

Have someone press in the clutch pedal and turn the ignition key.

OK - so If the headlights dim, you have power going all the way down to your starter motor.

If the headlights do not dim, there's a "break" somewhere in the starting system - you are not sending power all the way down to the starter motor.

Hope that helps -

This is very awesome advice, thank you for taking the time. I just finished being sick and spent my last weekend unable to work on the truck. I am eager to implement these few tips into my troubleshooting this weekend, will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again

Back