Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Starting help for new user/inexperienced mechanic

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Personacyde, March 17, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Personacyde

Personacyde New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1995 Ford Explorer XLT
    Hello, first post.

I love my Ford, always been a soldier for me. Bought it from a buddy, always a soldier for him.

I'm having problems after two shop visits, and I am done with shops. Spent waaaay too much money, to get some resolved issues, and some new ones. Lets go over why I am here.

No click during start. I use a screwdriver to jump it.

I replaced the starter last year sometime. Had a good ol boy neighbor help me, truck worked great, I didn't replace solenoid at the time, against suggestion, because it was functioning just fine. Still bought it, with intention to replace when needed.

Took to shop for a shifting problem. 5 speed manual. (4 speed with overdrive, if you wanna be that way.) 750 miles down road, family trip, truck into a new shop, to fix what first mechanic broke. 3 days late back to work, i took truck with what was apparently a bad solenoid. They had one laying around, said that one didn't work either. I had a brand new one, I replaced it just now. Same problem.

It's not the solenoid. How do I test that, how do I fix that?

After so many people touched my truck, Im not sure if it was done correctly. Clutch was replaced, transmission dropped. Could they have messed up my wiring to starter during this? I can fix that if so.

Help get me going, please. Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Personacyde

Personacyde New Member

1995 Ford Explorer XLT
    My apologies. 95 Explorer XLT Manual

4. 974X4BLACKSPORT

974X4BLACKSPORT Active Member

City, State:
    hudson
    BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
    Starter solenoid is pretty basic part, should be able to find a new just about any auto part store.

5. 974X4BLACKSPORT

City, State:
    hudson
    BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
    The small wire going to the starter solenoid on the fender must have 12v when the ignition is turned to "start", this engages the solenoid and then the starter, if no "12v" at the small wire check for a broken wire or bad connectiions, sometimes all the plugs need are to be removed and put back on a couple time to re-secure the connection and remove the corrosion.

6. 974X4BLACKSPORT

City, State:
    hudson
    BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
    The small wire going to the starter solenoid on the fender must have 12v when the ignition is turned to "start", this engages the solenoid and then the starter, if no "12v" at the small wire check for a broken wire or bad connectiions, sometimes all the plugs need are to be removed and put back on a couple time to re-secure the connection and remove the corrosion.

7. Personacyde

Personacyde New Member

1995 Ford Explorer XLT
    Thank you Black sport. I will start there, testing the starter wire. I am hopeful that will be the solution, will keep topic updated as I go through the troubleshooting.

As a note, this is the 2nd new solenoid put on in last four days, why I said not the solenoid in the original write up.

8. fast_dave

fast_dave Active Member

City, State:
    East Bay - Northern California
    '98 Spt 4.0 OHV 5 spd 4x4
    @Personacyde

How's the wiring connection to the clutch safety switch, under the dashboard?

How's the overall condition of the clutch safety switch?

A few years ago on my 98 w/ Manual Trans, I had to remove the safety switch, open it up, and clean up the copper connections on the inside.

Old School Tip

Turn on your headlights and stand in front of your Ex.

Have someone press in the clutch pedal and turn the ignition key.

OK - so If the headlights dim, you have power going all the way down to your starter motor.

If the headlights do not dim, there's a "break" somewhere in the starting system - you are not sending power all the way down to the starter motor.

Hope that helps -

Last edited: March 27, 2019
  9. Personacyde

Personacyde New Member

1995 Ford Explorer XLT
    This is very awesome advice, thank you for taking the time. I just finished being sick and spent my last weekend unable to work on the truck. I am eager to implement these few tips into my troubleshooting this weekend, will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again

We Support Our Troops!