Starting Problems with 95' Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting Problems with 95' Explorer

RobertGatz

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
Over the past month or so I've had trouble with my Explorer starting. It cranks and cranks and won't start. Every once in a while it will crank and start. I took it to my local guy and he said it was the Ignition Control Module which I had him replace. Worked ok for a day or two and now won't start. I asked him about the problem and he said that it's probably the computer. I've read that the computer should be reset when components are added. I've also read that if you disconnect the negative on the battery, wait 5 minutes the reconnect it will reset the computer.

Before I take it back to him to have the computer replaced can anyone offer any insight to this problem. Thanks. :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked your fuel pressure? When you turn the key on, but don't start the engine, do you hear the pump "whine" in the tank? If you only sometimes hear the pump if you try that several times, try swapping the fuel pump relay for one of the other same type relays and see if it starts then. Also, yes, unhook in the battery for 5 or 10 minutes does reset the computer.

To be honest I never could hear the fuel pump whine. However I think I get enough pressure. I'll try disconnecting the negative and see if that works. Thanks.

Relays go bad with age from heat. I would try a newer one to swap for a test run. I have found that you can't always hear the fuel pumps from rig to rig. Some are quiet, some are not. :scratch:

If the relay is bad, the pump wont work.

If the relay is weak, the pump will work, but not at 100% under load. Engine will start, and You will hear engine ping in that scenario.

Scan for OBDI codes (under hood connection only). See what comes up.

Test the fuel pressure at the intake, see what it reads.

Other items to check into:
Coil packs
Cam position sensor
Crank position sensor
IAC plugged up
Fouled plugs from no start attempts

Back