• Register Today It's free!

starting problems

jon118

Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
i got a 2000 4.0 v6 ford explorer xlt and its got a problem starting. every time i go out to start it i turn the key and it starts but dies unless i have my foot on the gas pedal. then while my foots on the gas it revs up real high but goes back down without moving my foot. its also got a real bad idle while pressing the gas while its cold. and i know its cold but it seems worse than any other cold start idle ive had in a different car. but after it gets warmed up it drives forever. i drove it all the way back from wyoming to illinois and then back to wyoming. with no problems. i dont know if its the altitude or what. but it gets worse with cold and being in laramie wyoming its only ganna get colder. my roommate told me that it could be my fuel pump but ive seen on here that it could be my 02 sensors. i dont really got alot of money so i cant be throwin all of this stuff at it at one time. any ideas on what it could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First question. Does the check engine light turn on when you turn on the key, and go off when the engine is running, or does the check engine light stay lit?

OK, that is good.

There is a device called the IAC valve. It has a sliding motor inside which opens and closes as the need for more air ( idle speed) changes. It is controlled by the PCM

Inside is a plunger which gets caked up with soot, this causes it to hang up and not respond to commands from the PCM.

You take it off, and use carb cleaner to clean the insides well, pay particular attention to the sliding rod, get it unstuck. Put it back on and I bet the idle problem is repaired.

Look for the IAC cleaning how to on this forum for more help.

alright, ill give that a go. thank you

Back