starts to burn water | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

starts to burn water

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger XLT
I have a question bout my ford ranger. after driving it for about a 20 min or so it starts to burn water. what can i do to make it stop? any answer would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...:scratch:...You need to first find out where the water is leaving from or going to...

..If it's only water and not a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, you may just be boiling it off while also contaminating your cooling system...

...Usually when someone is just using water and not antifreeze, the first thing I suspect is there was recently another coolant issue..:dunno:

well what would smell like chlorine. i have two guages, one that is on the dash and one that is connected to the coolant temp. the one with the coolant temp goes up to about 200 then back to 190 but the other one goes to the H.

..Your t-stat is a 190* so your readings of 190*-200* are about right..

...But back to the water...It has a lower boiling temp then anti-freeze..

First, what do you mean by "burning water"? If you see some come out the tailpipe, that's a normal by-product of an internal combustion engine.

well i dont really know what is happening but some people have been saying that its water. it smell like chlorine after about 45 minutes of running constantly.

..Other than the smell of chlorine, can you give some specifics to what symptoms your vehicle has?

well i was drivin it today and it happened again. nothing happens. the coolant guage goes up to about 205 then back down to about 190. the guage on my dash with the thermometer in the wavey water symbol thing got to about 3 quarters up. when i stopped to get gas i turned it off and then when i went to turn it on it didnt start. it didnt click or anything. i went blank. i had to put it in drive, 1, 2, neutral, park, 1, drive, and then i put it in neutral and it was lathargic to turn over but it did.

Back