Steady Airbag light on after aftermarket stereo install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steady Airbag light on after aftermarket stereo install

Veeyou

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford explorer xlt
My airbag light has been solid and on (no flickering) since my aftermarket stereo install 3 days ago. It still has not turned off.

Any idea how to reset this light? I don't believe it's a faulty airbag simply because it happened right after swapping out the stock for an aftermarket radio.

Is there some mechanism to reset the light or a simple code clearer from an OBD2 SCANNER?

I have an 2007 FORD EXPLORER XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need a scanner that can read andclear airbag codes in order to clear it.

I think I read somewhere that if you unplug the airbag warning light for the passenger seat (like you needed to do to change the radio) it will set an airbag light and code. Check and record your codes first and google them. Then you can clear them and if they come back then you know there is a problem.

I’d just pull the battery cable and see if the reset. If they come back, track down what they are.

My airbag light has been solid and on (no flickering) since my aftermarket stereo install 3 days ago. It still has not turned off.

Any idea how to reset this light? I don't believe it's a faulty airbag simply because it happened right after swapping out the stock for an aftermarket radio.

Is there some mechanism to reset the light or a simple code clearer from an OBD2 SCANNER?

I have an 2007 FORD EXPLORER XLT
Did you forget to reattach the plug for the air bag light? I had the same problem when I installed a stereo, and that was what happened. I pulled the center stack apart again, found an unattached plug that I'd forgotten when I put everything back together. Check the simple things first.

Did you forget to reattach the plug for the air bag light? I had the same problem when I installed a stereo, and that was what happened. I pulled the center stack apart again, found an unattached plug that I'd forgotten when I put everything back together. Check the simple things first.

same thing happened to me. The harness is at the top of the trim right above the radio, and one thing to note is that if you plug it in while the car is on, the light won’t turn off until you restart the car with the plug connected.

same thing happened to me. The harness is at the top of the trim right above the radio, and one thing to note is that if you plug it in while the car is on, the light won’t turn off until you restart the car with the plug connected.

So essentially I need to unplug it then plug it back in with the car off? Or are we assuming the plug is still unplugged? I didn't install it so I'll have the guy come back and take a look.

He probably just missed plugging it back in.

The video linked below talks about unplugging the airbag light under certain conditions and if done it might take the dealer resetting the airbag light. It is around the 4:10 mark he discusses this.

this was the solution, the guy took trim off and it was a plug right behind it and now it's off. Thank you guys for that suggestion.

Back