Steering feels weird but no power steering fault | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering feels weird but no power steering fault

On The Bcyde

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2011 XLT, I have noticed the steering feeling like it has a mind of its own sometimes.. Example: I can drive straight and it feels as if I am riding in rain and I sometimes have to grab the wheel to make sure I'm not losing traction for a split second and I regain control.. Never had power steering faults as described in other posts where the wheel never gets stiff or no messages.. I thought it was the alignment checked 2x. Has anyone ever had or felt this before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, are you saying the car tends to all of a sudden veer to one side or the other even though you're not turning or adjusting the wheel to that position (and the road is flat and straight)?

I have a 2011 XLT, I have noticed the steering feeling like it has a mind of its own sometimes.. Example: I can drive straight and it feels as if I am riding in rain and I sometimes have to grab the wheel to make sure I'm not losing traction for a split second and I regain control.. Never had power steering faults as described in other posts where the wheel never gets stiff or no messages.. I thought it was the alignment checked 2x. Has anyone ever had or felt this before?
Welcome to the Forum On The Bcyde. :wavey:
One member has said that he noticed a difference in control when he changed the Trailer Sway control setting. It was quite a while ago so I don't know if it improved by turning it ON or OFF. I tried it but didn't notice any difference at all. I also don't have any problems with the steering......so far.
Try changing the setting and see if it makes any difference. It is in the left hand screen.

Peter

Hi On The Bcyde,

Have you been to your dealership yet? They'll be in the best position to diagnose and repair your Explorer. That's going to be your best first step. As step two, I'd like to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest!

Welcome to the Forum On The Bcyde. :wavey:
One member has said that he noticed a difference in control when he changed the Trailer Sway control setting. It was quite a while ago so I don't know if it improved by turning it ON or OFF. I tried it but didn't notice any difference at all. I also don't have any problems with the steering......so far.
Try changing the setting and see if it makes any difference. It is in the left hand screen.

Peter

Thanks for the Trailer Sway suggestion, peterk9!

Crystal

I have a 2011 Explorer limited that I bought for my wife a few months ago from a Ford dealer ( traded in 2003 Explorer that she loved, it was just starting to show it's age. ), her 2011 has the same type of problem, no feel / no tension in the steering wheel, wanders when driving. She feels it is dangerous the way it steers, I can't stand driving it ONLY because of the steering.
I took it into the dealer, it was there for two days, when I picked it up at the dealer, they told me there was nothing wrong with the steering. I told him that all they have to do is drive another explorer ON THE ROAD, then drive mine, then they would feel the problem!! (I took it in because it needed to have MFT update, and cooling fan update + other problems looked at. )
Only about half of the problems have been fixed.
The steering problem was priority !!
NOT FIXED !!!
What should we do next to get this resolved?

I have a 2011 Explorer limited that I bought for my wife a few months ago from a Ford dealer ( traded in 2003 Explorer that she loved, it was just starting to show it's age. ), her 2011 has the same type of problem, no feel / no tension in the steering wheel, wanders when driving. She feels it is dangerous the way it steers, I can't stand driving it ONLY because of the steering.
I took it into the dealer, it was there for two days, when I picked it up at the dealer, they told me there was nothing wrong with the steering. I told him that all they have to do is drive another explorer ON THE ROAD, then drive mine, then they would feel the problem!! (I took it in because it needed to have MFT update, and cooling fan update + other problems looked at. )
NOT FIXED !!!
Welcome to the Forum Tony C.:wavey:
The only thing I can suggest is what I posted in post #3 of this thread. I doubt it will make a difference but to harm in trying it.
You may also want to check out the following link which also applies to the Explorer;
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/EPAS_Taurus.pdf
Good luck.

Peter

NOT FIXED !!!

Hi Tony C.,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved by escalating your case. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your info into the right hands and ensure that someone contacts you soon.

Crystal

I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2012 Explorer Xlt and I'm experiencing this same problem. It's scary when it happens because it's very to control. I want to see what can be done asap. I'm not looking to put money into a truck I just purchased just so it steers right. Going to contact the dealership tomorrow.

I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2012 Explorer Xlt and I'm experiencing this same problem. It's scary when it happens because it's very to control. I want to see what can be done asap. I'm not looking to put money into a truck I just purchased just so it steers right. Going to contact the dealership tomorrow.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Not sure if it might be a sign of the power steering beginning to go or an issue with the EPAS (Electric Power Assist Steering) system. There is a long thread here on the power steering failure.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320445&highlight=power+steering
Doing an Internet search on "Ford EPAS" will also bring up several items.

Peter

Hi peter, thanks for welcoming me in. I'm reading all these threads wondering what to do next? Anyone know the return policy for most dealerships? no but seriously do you?

Back