Steering Intermediate Shaft U-Joint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Intermediate Shaft U-Joint?

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Hi all,

I did some inspection into some play in the steering shaft. It looks like the bellow covering the u-joint is split in two and the joint is now shot. What are my options with this? I am unable to find the part anywhere.

2003 Explorer XLT AWD 4.0L V6

This is the joint between the steering column and the intermediate shaft. Not the connection to the steering rack.

Thanks in advance, I hope I do not need to purchase the entire steering column from the dealer for something this small.

So upon even further inspection I absolutely cannot find this part anywhere! It appears that the whole joint is attached to the intermed shaft but I'm not 100% certain. Is anyone else having this issue with slight play in the steering wheel caused by this joint?

Hello: I just joined the forum, but have been reading a lot as I am currently in the middle of and engine swap on our 2004 4.0.

I came across this issue with my Explorer, and wanted to share a simple fix. My steering column/shaft boot was shredded as well, and I didn't want to fork over the $400+ that Ford wants to replace the whole part. The u joint works well on my vehicle, so I just searched around for a boot that might fit

the part number is 03670 and I picked one up at Autozone for about $17 with tax. I will upload a photo when I get the chance.
http://www.autozone.com/suspension-...1121_0_0?fromString=search&make=&model=&year=

try a local junk yard pull your own part type place ...can you post a picture of the part?

Back