Steering measurement request

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Can someone with a stock height 4x4 explorer with no camber issues measure the distance from the driver side tie rod mount (on the knuckle) to the passenger side tie rod mount (on the knuckle).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can someone with a stock height 4x4 explorer with no camber issues measure the distance from the driver side tie rod mount (on the knuckle) to the passenger side tie rod mount (on the knuckle).

I have 50" even from center to center of the ball stud.

That's close to mine too but I'm not stock...

Copy that. Thanks arco.

Ok. Can I get two more measurements? Can I get the measurement from the pitman arm to the passenger side ball stud? And the measurement from the drivers side ball stud to the center mounting ball stud?

Ok. Can I get two more measurements? Can I get the measurement from the pitman arm to the passenger side ball stud? And the measurement from the drivers side ball stud to the center mounting ball stud?

I dropped the center link connection to replace the steering gear in mine. I'm putting in the new gear this afternoon and will try to get you some of my measurements. I have a 91 XLT 4wd manual. TTYL

Edit: Ok, my stock measurements are 30" on pass side, from the zerk fitting to center link (where the pass/dr rods meet); and 21.5" from zerk to center link on the driver's side. These were straight line measurements between the two points by hooking a tape measure to the far side of the zerk fitting and measuring to the center of the center link. Hope this helps

Thanks Shooey. Yes, that helps.

Wow... I have replaced tie rods, drag link, ball joints, pivot bushings, pitman arm, spindles and camber bushings. The drag link and tie rod were the correct measurements as mentioned in above posts. The camber issue was caused by the pivot points being mounted in the six inch holes on my skyjacker brackets. I moved the axles to the four inch lift holes. My steering is nearly flat ( maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" out ) and I need a alignment but my Ex rides like a Cadillac. Thanks to all who've helped along the way.

Back