steering problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

posmindset

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02, Explorer 4.6L 4x4
My power steering on my 02 eddie bauer EX is hard to turn to the right sometimes. It is spotty, it will turn to the right smooth sometimes and have moments when the roughness is spotty.

Turning to the left is fine.

Check the power steering fluid, it was low, so i have filled it and the steering got a little better but the problem is still there.

Reading threads in here it sounds like i need to replace the rack and pinion.

With what i'm describing above does that sound like a possible solution or might there be something else?

Can I change the rack and pinion myself and if not what would it tyically cost to have it fixed???

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas and thanks for any advice and help.

I have noticed with this problem that if sitting in park and i turn the steering to the right and rev the engine (give it gas) the steering will turn easier to the right like it should.

Does that sound like a power steering pump could be going out?

Curious as to why the steering would be hard only to the right and not any direction i steer.

How low was the fluid? You might have air in the system and it needs to be bled. It's easy to do. you just turn the wheel full lock in each direction a couple of times then check the fluid level. It might take a few cycle to get the air out.

If that doesnt fix it, you prob need a new steering rack.

The fluid is at the right level. I added some a couple of months back when this problem started as it was slightly low and did just as you described by turning the wheel back and forth both ways for complete revolutions...that didn't solve the problem.

How low was the fluid? You might have air in the system and it needs to be bled. It's easy to do. you just turn the wheel full lock in each direction a couple of times then check the fluid level. It might take a few cycle to get the air out.

If that doesnt fix it, you prob need a new steering rack.

Back