Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
So, my steering pump is knocking...

th_27072011054.jpg

And I was wondering if there is anything I can do to quieten it down a bit so that I don't have to replace it before it goes for it's safety...

I put stop leak in the system, as the fittings were leaking at the rack, I think I've sorted that part out now.

Any ideas guys n gals?

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was that serpentine belt frayed already when you installed it?

Can't say I have ever heard a PSP make that noise before. Sorry I'm no help, but here is a free bump.

no, the belt was brand new, no frays, nothing... I wonder if changing the belt, or taking the frays out would help?

Si

Is the pulley alignment off? Is one of them bent or is something not seated right to make one on a slight angle? If so....I can see why the belt is frayed and there is a knocking noise.

:dunno:

how would I know if the pulley alignment is off? everything looks straight underneath.. I don't know why the belt is fraying.....

Si

Are you sure the fan blade isn't hitting on something? like the belt? Look closer at the harmonic balancer area as the bottom of the engine is closer to the fan than the top is.

That tapping is way faster than the pump pulley is turning. the solid accessory brackets will "throw" a noise to another location sometimes.

Back