1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Steering rack replacement question - help!!!

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by Ahef, December 31, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Ahef

Ahef New Member

City, State:
      Lower Alabama
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '95 XLT
      My son just replaced the power steering pump and steering rack on my 95 explorer (2WD) - big job to say the least.

Is there a small flow orifice / check valve in the high pressure supply connection to the steering rack. We found it on the garage floor after removing the old rack. I believe the only place it could have come from was the old rack as we removed it. It appears to fit neatly in the orifice where the high pressure hydraulic hose screws in the rack.

The confusion is there is no mention of it in the Ford repair CD or Haynes manual we have. There was also no mention of it in the documentation that came with the rebuilt rack and pump. Does it really belong there? I would have thought that a new one would have been included with the new rack.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      I don't remember there being any check valve when i changed out my rack, I'm pretty sure there isnt one on the high pressure side of the system.

4. Eneurb

Eneurb Active Member

City, State:
      Ajax, Ontario, Canada
      1998 Limited
      I have access to the Ford website, and the service publications and the blown up pictures do not show anything.

5. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Yes there was one on my '96. Let me check to see which side it was on...

EDIT: Well I thought I had a thread about this back when I swapped my steering rack... but I can't find it. :(

6. Ahef

Ahef New Member

City, State:
      Lower Alabama
      '95 XLT
      I am sure it is on the pressure side since there is a recess that it seems to fit perfectly. My concern was that we found it on the garage floor after we had removed the old rack and we weren't sure where it came from. Interestly the new rack didn't come with one!

I also went to the Ford dealer today and looked at their parts diagrams and there is no indication of it on the drawings or parts lists that I could find.

The parts quy thought he remembered it being part of the system but couldn't find it either.

Meanwhile thanks for the feedback.