Steering rack replacement question - help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering rack replacement question - help!!!

Ahef

Reaction score
City, State
Lower Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
My son just replaced the power steering pump and steering rack on my 95 explorer (2WD) - big job to say the least.

Is there a small flow orifice / check valve in the high pressure supply connection to the steering rack. We found it on the garage floor after removing the old rack. I believe the only place it could have come from was the old rack as we removed it. It appears to fit neatly in the orifice where the high pressure hydraulic hose screws in the rack.

The confusion is there is no mention of it in the Ford repair CD or Haynes manual we have. There was also no mention of it in the documentation that came with the rebuilt rack and pump. Does it really belong there? I would have thought that a new one would have been included with the new rack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't remember there being any check valve when i changed out my rack, I'm pretty sure there isnt one on the high pressure side of the system.

I have access to the Ford website, and the service publications and the blown up pictures do not show anything.

Yes there was one on my '96. Let me check to see which side it was on...

EDIT: Well I thought I had a thread about this back when I swapped my steering rack... but I can't find it. :(

section525 said:
Yes there was one on my '96. Let me check to see which side it was on...

EDIT: Well I thought I had a thread about this back when I swapped my steering rack... but I can't find it. :(

I am sure it is on the pressure side since there is a recess that it seems to fit perfectly. My concern was that we found it on the garage floor after we had removed the old rack and we weren't sure where it came from. Interestly the new rack didn't come with one!

I also went to the Ford dealer today and looked at their parts diagrams and there is no indication of it on the drawings or parts lists that I could find.

The parts quy thought he remembered it being part of the system but couldn't find it either.

Meanwhile thanks for the feedback.

Back