• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Mods from Stock?

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Hi all,
currently the leather wrap on my wheel is broken and the wheel itself feels really bad in your hands (I'd try a cover but it seems to make the wheel too thick and hard to grip for me)

I was wondering if there were any cheap options out there for a new wheel? I know carid has one for about $400 but that seems a little steep considering it's just the wheel without any buttons etc...

Also, I have an aftermarket stereo (Pioneer AVH-2800BS) My steering wheel does not currently have audio controls, is there any way to wire in those controls or is the harness connection there but just not used? Is it possible to set this up?

Last question, how hard is it to wire in heated seats to the front only?

Thanks!

Your cheapest options for steering wheel are going to be either the local salvage yard or ebay for a stock replacement. Otherwise Wheelskinz are awesome covers, pretty sure they'll have a kit for our trucks and they're less than $100.

As for the steering wheel audio controls, you need an interface that wires into your harness. There are several brands, I recommend PAC. I use their products quite a bit for factory integration and they're top notch.

For wiring in seat heaters, I can't help ya. I would probably recommend finding the wiring diagram on AllData or something and start from there.

Back