Steering Wheel Power Tilt/Telescoping Function Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SheriffMoose

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello explorers!

I've got a 2015 Explorer Sport that seems to have an issue with the tilt/telescoping function. It's actually been an issue ever since I bought the car about 13 months ago. Whenever pressing the out or down adjustments, you can hear a click, but nothing happens. When pressing in or up, no sound is emitted at all. The power pedal adjustments also fail to function with no noise to indicate an attempt to move (see linked video for example).

Troubleshooting steps taken:
1. Unplug wire harnesses from input controller and both motors to check for corrosion (no sign of issues)
2. Checked fuses (no blown fuses found, though I couldn't find a fuse specifically labeled for the system).

I am planning to disconnect the battery from the car tomorrow morning for about 15 minutes or so to see if draining the power from the system clears any issue with the computer. I may have done this once before, but I don't recall for sure, so I'm going to try it again.

I did see another article from an F-150 that talked about manually twisting the threaded rod that the motor uses to turn/adjust the wheel position to see if it's stuck in the full out or full up position, though I'm concerned that manually twisting it with pliers will either strip/damage the threaded rod or the motor itself.

Any thoughts or suggestions you could share?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't recall any posts about issues with that adjustment nor did I find any. My guesses would be either a bad switch or motor. Might be the motor since the switch does appear to be sending power in order to hear the "clicks". They might be controlled through a certain module since there is no listing in the fuse panels.

Peter

Welp, I decided it was probably best that I not take the motors off the steering column. Those shafts that make the adjustments look like they could bend fairly easily, and since I don't really have a good idea as to the issue, I imagine I could do more harm than good. I've got an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday - I'll follow-up with the diagnosis!

Welp, I decided it was probably best that I not take the motors off the steering column. Those shafts that make the adjustments look like they could bend fairly easily, and since I don't really have a good idea as to the issue, I imagine I could do more harm than good. I've got an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday - I'll follow-up with the diagnosis!
I realize this is an old thread but its the only one I've found in the forum that talks of this tilt/telescope problem. Peter, correct me if I'm wrong.

I too have a 2015 Sport with the memory tilt/telescope and memory seat. Sometime last year, I noticed the tilt/telescope memory began working intermittently. Seat always works (fully retracts when vehicle turned off, moves to forward memory position when vehicle is started.) If the tilt/telescope decides to work, both functions operate properly when the vehicle is started and fully retract when vehicle is turned off. If the tilt/telescope doesn't work, neither movement (tilt or telescope) occurs. I'm thinking that either a connector has come loose at the module, or a connector has corroded terminals or the module is going bad.

Where is this module located? And does the module control both the seat and the steering column?

Found these as well but haven't read them.

Peter

Thanks for finding the above posts Peter. I read them both and no help for me with either. I did find some info where a dealer had replaced module GU5Z-14C708-AC or -G or -JF. Seems that none of these fit my 2015 Explorer Sport. I'll continue doing research while repeating the phrase "must have patience".

As weird as it sounds, check to make sure all the driver's side under SEAT connectors are firmly clicked together.

One time on my 2016 Sport, my wife vacuumed under the seats and my steering column and adjustable pedals stopped working. One of the plugs partially came unseated.

Thanks Jade. I thought that might be a cause given the intermittent nature of my problem. I do vacuum under the driver's seat on a regular basis.

Back