• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Radio Control

bojans

Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
I have given into the fact that I will not be able to hook up both my Ipod and XM directly through the factory radio. I am thinking of getting an Alpine W2000 so I can have direct connect of the sources. My trouble is I cannot find an interface to make the controls on the steering wheel work with the 06 Ex.

I found a product at Crutchfield that converts the buttons on the wheel into an IR signal but this sounds a little goofy to me. Any experience with this? Any other suggestions?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mK3p27nfHFs/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=118900&I=127SWIX

i thought about the same thing for XM and was basically talked out of it as the wheel controls and IR and of all things SUN LIGHT will make the IR unreliable...

ARGH!! :eek:

only if sunlight directly shines on the IR-remote of the HU - normally it should work fine. I would have been interested in this converter, but crutchfield says it doesn´t work with my Sony-HU :(

Guess I need the Sony-Joystick-remote to make some measurements how they manage the remote, the steeringwheel-remote is only a resistor-array, not a big thing. Should be possible to get it work with other HU´s that have a wire-remote-jack.

Here is another question... Will the controls for the heat and fan work if I splice into these wires? On PAC's web site they say for the 2005 you lose the use of these two functions.

Back